Last week in style and animations

Suzy Howlett

Nov 14, 2016, 11:23:24 PM11/14/16
to styl...@chromium.org
(bcc blink-dev)

The Style team is a group of engineers, working at Google (Sydney and Tokyo), Opera (Oslo) and Samsung (Boston). We are tasked with improving the style engine in Blink. Our responsibility is to maintain and improve style resolution and application (core/css/resolver, core/style), as well as the other parts of CSS (core/css).

The Animations team is a group of engineers in Google Sydney who maintain and improve the main thread animations system in Blink (core/animation). We are also responsible for the Web Animations javascript polyfill, and work with Google Waterloo on compositor thread animations (cc/animation).

The Style and Animations teams together triage bugs labelled as Blink>CSS and Blink>Animation.

Updates from the last week (07 November - 13 November, 2016):

Style (contact: me...@chromium.org)

  • Splitting up Style Resolution and Layout Tree Construction (bugsnash and nainar)

    • Patch to fix performance regression bug under review

      • Confirmed patch fixes perf regression on mac_10_10 perf bot

    • Working on CL to call Element::rebuildLayoutTree() sequentially after Element::recalcStyle() in Document::updateStyle()

  • Async stylesheet update patch work (ru...@opera.com)

  • Fixed a regression for pseudo elements in the propagate-instead-of-recalc for independently inherited properties (ru...@opera.com)

  • Merge of shadow dom fixes from last week (ru...@opera.com)

  • Fix for camelCased attribute selectors in svg (ru...@opera.com)

  • Disallow using custom properties as descriptors (timloh)

  • Working on custom property input preservation + streaming css parser (timloh)

Animations (contact: su...@chromium.org)

  • Motion path (ericwilligers, alancutter): Spec updates; implemented extension API to polyfill in preparation for intern project

  • Web Animations polyfill (suzyh): Turned down web-animations-next repository and merged content to web-animations-js, as per doc from last week (https://docs.google.com/document/d/16icyKqa1svajjeV4G7mWWAWj_iaMD9D7aMM6iWxni_g/edit)

  • Accelerated animations (loyso): Finished implementation of MutatorHost and MutatorEvents interfaces

  • Custom properties in keyframes (alancutter): Improved perf bot results for style apply pass optimisation; landed animation property priority pass

Eddy Mead

Nov 21, 2016, 11:37:26 PM11/21/16
to style-dev
(bcc blink-dev)

The Style team is a group of engineers, working at Google (Sydney and Tokyo), Opera (Oslo) and Samsung (Boston). We are tasked with improving the style engine in Blink. Our responsibility is to maintain and improve style resolution and application (core/css/resolver, core/style), as well as the other parts of CSS (core/css).

The Animations team is a group of engineers in Google Sydney who maintain and improve the main thread animations system in Blink (core/animation). We are also responsible for the Web Animations javascript polyfill, and work with Google Waterloo on compositor thread animations (cc/animation).

The Style and Animations teams together triage bugs labelled as Blink>CSS and Blink>Animation.

Updates from the last week (14 November - 20 November, 2016):

Style (contact: me...@chromium.org)

    • Splitting up Style Resolution and Layout Tree Construction (bugsnash and nainar)

      • Working on CL to call Element::rebuildLayoutTree() sequentially after Element::recalcStyle() in Document::updateStyle()

      • Worked on putting up a new working patch of the remaining changes for https://codereview.chromium.org/1913833002/ (ru...@opera.com)

      • CSS Typed OM:

      • Generating ComputedStyle (sas...@chromium.org)

        • Working on generating inherited flags:

        • Stage 1 (renaming enums to conform to generated code) is ~50% landed, ~70% done overall, and is pre-req work for Stage 2

        • Stage 2 (generating enums) - 3 flags generated out of 18

      Animations (contact: su...@chromium.org)

      • Motion path (ericwilligers, alancutter): Continued from last week on spec updates and extension API in polyfill for intern project

      • Custom properties in keyframes (alancutter): Final patch for unregistered custom properties submitted for review

      • Accelerated animations (loyso): Made cc/animation an independent GN component (under review)

      Eddy Mead

      Nov 29, 2016, 1:01:44 AM11/29/16
      to style-dev
      (bcc blink-dev)

      The Style team is a group of engineers, working at Google (Sydney and Tokyo), Opera (Oslo) and Samsung (Boston). We are tasked with improving the style engine in Blink. Our responsibility is to maintain and improve style resolution and application (core/css/resolver, core/style), as well as the other parts of CSS (core/css).

      The Animations team is a group of engineers in Google Sydney who maintain and improve the main thread animations system in Blink (core/animation). We are also responsible for the Web Animations javascript polyfill, and work with Google Waterloo on compositor thread animations (cc/animation).

      The Style and Animations teams together triage bugs labelled as Blink>CSS and Blink>Animation.

      Updates from the last week (21 November - 27 November, 2016):

      Style (contact: me...@chromium.org)

      • Welcome to our interns: gozzard and aazzam!

      • Splitting up Style Resolution and Layout Tree Construction (bugsnash and nainar)

        • Working on CL to call Element::rebuildLayoutTree() sequentially after Element::recalcStyle() in Document::updateStyle()

      • Async stylesheet update (crbug.com/567021) (ru...@opera.com)

        • Landed more CLs. Looks like the last CLs will be up for review coming week

      • Spent a day analyzing crbug.com/652974. Looks like a webfont issue in extensions so far (ru...@opera.com)

      • Working on custom property input preservation + streaming css parser (timloh)

      • CSS Typed OM:

        • Updated CSSSkew to take CSSAngleValues instead of doubles as arguments to match a spec change (meade)

        • Landed support for getting CSSPerspective from the inline StylePropertyMap (meade)

      • Worked on project ribbon in the parser, creating an API for CSS properties. All property-specific parsing methods will eventually be added to this API. Design doc for this project can be found here. (aazzam)

      • General intern orientation stuff (gozzard)

        • Reading lots of the printing codebase

        • Small CL: 2534733002

        • Design Doc for PrintBrowser project coming soon

      Animations (contact: su...@chromium.org)

      • Welcome to our interns: cbracefield and divyanshi!

      • Bug fixit week with Waterloo (suzyh, alancutter, ericwilligers, loyso): Closed lots of bugs (at least crbug.com/ 146849, 326535, 476404, 617539, 618157, 620160, 624640, 640578, 657019), plus in-progress work on several others. We closed out the week with an overall decrease in Blink>Animation bugs (from 100 down to 95)

      • Custom properties in keyframes (alancutter): Wrote design doc for registered custom properties

      • Motion path (ericwilligers, alancutter, divyanshi, cbracefield): Getting up to speed on motion path and the polyfill project; in native implementation, updated "rotate" property in response to spec change

      Eddy Mead

      Dec 5, 2016, 11:23:10 PM12/5/16
      to style-dev
      (bcc blink-dev)

      The Style team is a group of engineers, working at Google (Sydney and Tokyo), Opera (Oslo) and Samsung (Boston). We are tasked with improving the style engine in Blink. Our responsibility is to maintain and improve style resolution and application (core/css/resolver, core/style), as well as the other parts of CSS (core/css).

      The Animations team is a group of engineers in Google Sydney who maintain and improve the main thread animations system in Blink (core/animation). We are also responsible for the Web Animations javascript polyfill, and work with Google Waterloo on compositor thread animations (cc/animation).

      The Style and Animations teams together triage bugs labelled as Blink>CSS and Blink>Animation.

      Updates from the last week (28 November - 04 December, 2016):

      Style (contact: me...@chromium.org)

      • Async stylesheet update (ru...@opera.com)

        • Didn’t keep promise about “last CLs”, but landed a couple of CLs. Spent most of the time on html imports.

      • Spent some time on trying to pinpoint crash issues without luck. (ru...@opera.com)

      • CSS Typed OM

        • Landed a change adding ability to generate tests for each property in the InlineStylePropertyMap (meade)

      • PrintBrowser intern project (gozzard)

      • Working on custom property input preservation + streaming css parser. Getting patch ready for review. (timloh)

      • Working on generating ComputedStyle flags (sashab@, napper@)

        • Status

        • Investigating a broader scope of projects to generate and ultimately re-write ComputedStyle - “Project Clockwork” (work-in-progress title)

      • Splitting up Style Resolution and Layout Tree Construction (bugsnash and nainar)

        • Working on feedback from rune@ and esprehn@ on CL to call Element::rebuildLayoutTree() sequentially after Element::recalcStyle() in Document::updateStyle()

      • Project Ribbon in the Parser - Separating property-specific logic from the parser and moving it into an API for properties

        • CL for making CSSPropertyAPI is in review.

        • Also worked on making a python generator which generates the .h files for all of the properties implementing this API. (aazzam)

      Animations (contact: su...@chromium.org)

      • Accelerated animations (loyso): Finished work to make cc/animation an independent GN component; made AnimationPlayer be the unit of activation; sketched out how to erase RenderWidgetCompositor and make WebLayerTreeView non-public

      • Motion path (ericwilligers, alancutter, divyanshi, cbracefield): Responded to rename of offset-rotation to offset-rotate; set up development process for motion path polyfill

      • Custom properties in keyframes (alancutter): Fixed and relanded unregistered custom property animations patch from last week

      • Bug processes (suzyh): Fleshed out spreadsheet + Google Apps script for quarterly review of Blink>Animation bugs and for scoring how well we meet our update targets