Has @apply Shipped In Chrome 51?

PhistucK

Apr 29, 2016, 2:57:11 PM4/29/16
to blink-dev, Dru Knox, Timothy Loh
The latest Chromium beta blog post as well as https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5753701012602880 note that CSS @apply has shipped in Chrome 51.

That seems wrong, as I only saw an intent to implement thread and the canary does not have it on by default (also, the Developer Tools feature does not show @applied CSS properties, which significantly hurts debuggability and may indicate a serious bug).

Relatedly -
- The pipe notation ("KeyboardEvent |key|") is not so familiar externally, I would just use a point ("KeyboardEvent.key") or nothing at all ("KeyboardEvent key").
- It is not canvas.filters (the attribute is not on <canvas>, it is on its context), if anything, it is CanvasRenderingContext2D.filters (or replace the point with a space, like the above point).
- In order to be consistent with the rest of the post, a point should be used.
- "onbeforeunload()" is weird (the developer never calls this function, it only assigns a function to this attribute), either "beforeunload event" or "onbeforeunload" make sense.

Thank you for keeping everything up to date and as accurate as possible, these blog posts are very helpful!

PhistucK

Domenic Denicola

Apr 29, 2016, 3:11:48 PM4/29/16
to PhistucK, blink-dev, Dru Knox, Timothy Loh
From: blin...@chromium.org [mailto:blin...@chromium.org] On Behalf Of PhistucK

> - The pipe notation ("KeyboardEvent |key|") is not so familiar externally, I would just use a point ("KeyboardEvent.key") or nothing at all ("KeyboardEvent key").

Please don't use KeyboardEvent.key. KeyboardEvent.key is undefined. You may instead be talking about KeyboardEvent.prototype.key.

> - It is not canvas.filters (the attribute is not on <canvas>, it is on its context), if anything, it is CanvasRenderingContext2D.filters (or replace the point with a space, like the above point).

Similarly, CanvasRenderingContext2D.filters is undefined.

PhistucK

Apr 29, 2016, 3:31:57 PM4/29/16
to Domenic Denicola, blink-dev, Dru Knox, Timothy Loh
While I agree it is much more accurate, developers are more familiar with x.y rather than x.prototype.y and it is not as confusing as it seems to both of us.
Anyway, the rest of the post (and all of the previous posts) omits .prototype, so this goes way back and should be fixed everywhere, if this is decided.

PhistucK

Ali Juma

Apr 29, 2016, 4:38:09 PM4/29/16
On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 2:57 PM PhistucK <phis...@gmail.com> wrote:
The latest Chromium beta blog post as well as https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5753701012602880 note that CSS @apply has shipped in Chrome 51.

That seems wrong, as I only saw an intent to implement thread and the canary does not have it on by default (also, the Developer Tools feature does not show @applied CSS properties, which significantly hurts debuggability and may indicate a serious bug).

Relatedly -
- The pipe notation ("KeyboardEvent |key|") is not so familiar externally, I would just use a point ("KeyboardEvent.key") or nothing at all ("KeyboardEvent key").
- It is not canvas.filters (the attribute is not on <canvas>, it is on its context), if anything, it is CanvasRenderingContext2D.filters (or replace the point with a space, like the above point).

Also, canvas filters are not shipping in 51, they're behind a flag in 51 (the Chrome Status entry is correct).

PhistucK

Apr 29, 2016, 5:11:22 PM4/29/16
to Ali Juma, blink-dev, Dru Knox, Timothy Loh
Oops, looks like the Chrome Status entry for @apply is also correct (I could have sworn I saw something different, but http://platformstatustracker.azurewebsites.net/ would have caught it if it were so, I would guess).

So it would be great if you went over all of the features once more in order to make sure that none of them are behind a flag.

It would probably make it easier if ChromeStatus.com had an icon next to features that are not enabled by default (without opening every feature) as this can be confusing to web developers as well. I filed an issue.

PhistucK

Samuel Li

Apr 29, 2016, 5:17:41 PM4/29/16
to PhistucK, Ali Juma, blink-dev, Dru Knox, Timothy Loh
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 at 14:11 PhistucK <phis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oops, looks like the Chrome Status entry for @apply is also correct (I could have sworn I saw something different, but http://platformstatustracker.azurewebsites.net/ would have caught it if it were so, I would guess).

So it would be great if you went over all of the features once more in order to make sure that none of them are behind a flag.

It would probably make it easier if ChromeStatus.com had an icon next to features that are not enabled by default (without opening every feature) as this can be confusing to web developers as well. I filed an issue.
It does.

pasted2

PhistucK

Apr 29, 2016, 6:06:31 PM4/29/16
to Samuel Li, Ali Juma, blink-dev, Dru Knox, Timothy Loh
Oops. Right. Then the blog post should just be fixed...

PhistucK

Ryan Schoen

May 2, 2016, 9:50:10 AM5/2/16
to PhistucK, Samuel Li, Ali Juma, blink-dev, Dru Knox, Timothy Loh
We've deleted the bullets around @apply and canvas filters, and removed the parentheses from onbeforeunload. Thanks for pointing these out!