Intent to Implement: CSS Containment

Levi Weintraub

Nov 25, 2015, 5:09:44 PM11/25/15
to blink-dev
le...@chromium.org https://drafts.csswg.org/css-containment/ A primitive for isolating style, layout, and paint. This allows authors to explicitly opt into a set of restrictions that enables user agent optimizations. With a simple change, we can enable authors to opt into pre-existing optimizations for layout-constrained content (subtree roots), and potentially enable further optimizations down the line. Firefox: Mixed public signals (I'll be following up with them about their concerns) Edge: No public signals Safari: No public signals Web developers: No signals Very low. Reaching spec-compliance is quite simple. None Yes. https://crbug.com/561713 https://www.chromestatus.com/features/6522186978295808 No.

Alex Russell

Nov 25, 2015, 5:51:13 PM11/25/15
to Levi Weintraub, blink-dev
Would love to see this run past the TAG SRTL (we have a face-to-face meeting in January where we can take it up).

Question: does paint containment imply clipping for drop shadows? I assume it also clips transform()s?

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Levi Weintraub <le...@chromium.org> wrote:
le...@chromium.org https://drafts.csswg.org/css-containment/ A primitive for isolating style, layout, and paint. This allows authors to explicitly opt into a set of restrictions that enables user agent optimizations. With a simple change, we can enable authors to opt into pre-existing optimizations for layout-constrained content (subtree roots), and potentially enable further optimizations down the line. Firefox: Mixed public signals (I'll be following up with them about their concerns) Edge: No public signals Safari: No public signals Web developers: No signals Very low. Reaching spec-compliance is quite simple. None Yes. https://crbug.com/561713 https://www.chromestatus.com/features/6522186978295808 No.

Levi Weintraub

Nov 25, 2015, 5:58:13 PM11/25/15
to Alex Russell, Tab Atkins, blink-dev
On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Alex Russell <sligh...@google.com> wrote:
Would love to see this run past the TAG SRTL (we have a face-to-face meeting in January where we can take it up).
Sounds good to me :)

Question: does paint containment imply clipping for drop shadows? I assume it also clips transform()s?
+tab to keep me honest

My expectation and understanding is yes to both; paint containment would clip all visual overflow/out of flow/transformed descendants.

Ojan Vafai

Nov 25, 2015, 11:27:15 PM11/25/15
to Alex Russell, Levi Weintraub, blink-dev
On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:50 PM, 'Alex Russell' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
Would love to see this run past the TAG SRTL (we have a face-to-face meeting in January where we can take it up).

Just curious, why? What specifically do you want to discuss?