Intent to ship: lexical declarations in strict mode

Dmitry Lomov

Dec 9, 2014, 7:24:55 AM12/9/14
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com, blink-dev
[blink-dev: FYI]

Lexical declarations ('let' and 'const') are part of ES6. The spec for them in Editor's draft is stable.

The are available in IE11 [1]. Firefox plans to ship them in 35 (Jan 2015) [2].

Lexical declarations has been available in V8 under --harmony-scoping flag for quite some time.
Our current implementation is up-to-date with the latest ES6 spec.

To mitigate possible web-incompatibility, in particular conflicts with legacy  'const' declarations, we are limiting support for lexical declarations to strict mode code for now. (Sloppy mode support for lexical declarations will be done as a distinct language feature process-wise).

Darin Fisher

Dec 9, 2014, 10:25:28 AM12/9/14
to Dmitry Lomov, v8-u...@googlegroups.com, blink-dev
LGTM

Nice idea limiting this to strict mode for now.

-Darin

Darin Fisher

Dec 9, 2014, 10:27:53 AM12/9/14
to Dmitry Lomov, v8-u...@googlegroups.com, blink-dev