Intent to Deprecate and Remove MediaStream.ended

v.ke...@samsung.com

Aug 26, 2014, 1:50:29 AM8/26/14
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

v.ke...@samsung.com

Spec

Old:  http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/archives/20130824/getusermedia.html#mediastream

New: http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html#mediastream

ended attribute has been deprecated. Need to move to active attribute as per the new spec.

Without deprecating/removing ended, it is not possible to add active (as per new spec) as these two cannot co-exist in the same space.

Motivation:

Attribute has been deprecated.

Compatibility Risk

None

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers:

use MediaStream.active along with onactive and oninactive event handlers

Usage information from UseCounter

To Be Updated

Entry on chromestatus.com and/or MDN

No

Requesting approval to remove too?

Yes

Implementation is already completed to remove ended and add active. We will first measure the usage of ended and based on that we will take a call if it can be removed immediately. Will update UseCounter link once code is merged.