Fwd: DevTools and Intent to Implement process

PhistucK

Mar 31, 2015, 4:38:36 PM3/31/15
to Google Chrome Developer Tools, blink-dev
This looks like a good idea for Blink and its Developer Tools as well.

PhistucK

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 11:08:17 PM UTC+3, J. Ryan Stinnett wrote:
DevTools would like to get involved earlier in the implementation
process for new platform features.

In particular, we'd like to head towards a world where:

1. Platform features are architected in such a way from the start that
adding debugging / instrumentation is (relatively) easy
2. DevTools for a feature are discussed early on in a bug that
interested parties can follow while the platform feature is being
implemented

By working with the platform team as features are developed (instead
of afterwards), we can discuss any debugging and instrumentation APIs
our tools may need, give feedback as we start to build tools, etc.
We're hoping this will help us to release tools closer to the time
frame that the platform features are available.  Tools for new
features should increase adoption of those features, as they make it
easier for web developers to explore and understand them.

The DevTools team has recently discussed[1] this, and we thought
becoming more integrated in the platform "Intent to Implement" process
would be a good thing to do.  Specifically, we'd like to have a
"DevTools" line in the "intent to implement" template[2] which would
link to a bug on building tools for the feature for further
discussion.

Thoughts? (Replies to dev-platform.)

[1]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.developer-tools/fZOxb3t0Npk/discussion
[2]: https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/ExposureGuidelines#Intent_to_Implement

- Ryan

Pavel Feldman

Apr 1, 2015, 3:35:24 AM4/1/15
to PhistucK, Google Chrome Developer Tools, blink-dev
This came up during the BlinkOn a year ago and we added "Debuggability" into the Intent to ship.
Adding it into Intent to implement as well would help since it'll get implementors thinking about devtools earlier in the cycle.