Intent to Deprecate and Remove: -webkit-box-flex-group, -webkit-box-lines, % values of -webkit-line-clamp

177 مرّة مشاهدة
التخطي إلى أول رسالة غير مقروءة

ikilp...@chromium.org

غير مقروءة،
05‏/03‏/2018، 4:48:52 م5‏/3‏/2018
إلى blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

ikilp...@chromium.org

Summary

This intent to remove covers 3 different properties from the -webkit-box display type.

-webkit-box-flex-group - This property has virtually zero usage based on the UseCounter on stable. There is still -webkit-box-flex which is used widely.

% values of -webkit-line-clamp - Fun fact! Most people use -webkit-line-clamp with a single number, this has relatively high usage. It can actually accept % values as well. There is interest in finding a standards based solution to the number values usecase, but we haven’t seen demand for the %-based values. Based on the UseCounter, this has virtually zero usage.

-webkit-box-lines - This property was never fully implemented. It was originally intended such that a “vertical”/”horizontal” -webkit-box can have multiple rows/columns. The only effect it has today is to switch to a broken intrinsic size calculation. (It will use the vertical intrinsic size calculation for a horizontal -webkit-box, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). We think that this has slightly higher usage as people think it's necessary for using -webkit-line-clamp.

Motivation

We desire to eventually move the -webkit-box implementation over to the flex implementation with a few switches. This is what Firefox and Edge do today. Removing these properties allows us to incrementally move towards this.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

We think this has low interop and compat risk, due to the low usage.

Edge: Edge does have an implementation/flexbox-mapping of -webkit-box, but these properties/values aren’t supported.

Firefox: Firefox does have an implementation/flexbox-mapping of -webkit-box, but these properties/values aren’t supported.

Safari: Supported.

Please include links where possible.

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers

Unlike -webkit-line-clamp which has high usage, these properties were never used widely by web developers.

Usage information from UseCounter

See above.

OWP launch tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=818691

Entry on the feature dashboard

No entry as this shouldn’t have any impact on web developers.

Requesting approval to remove too?

Yes - the plan is the remove immediately. We don’t think the deprecation will add value given the low usage of the properties.

Rick Byers

غير مقروءة،
05‏/03‏/2018، 8:40:22 م5‏/3‏/2018
إلى Ian Kilpatrick،blink-dev
LGTM1

Is it worth adding negative test cases to WPT somewhere so that it will be clear WebKit is now an outlier in supporting these?

PhistucK

غير مقروءة،
06‏/03‏/2018، 2:55:27 ص6‏/3‏/2018
إلى Ian Kilpatrick،blink-dev
Feature dashboard entries feed the beta blog posts, which mention removals, so I think it should have an entry.

PhistucK

Ojan Vafai

غير مقروءة،
06‏/03‏/2018، 11:31:02 ص6‏/3‏/2018
إلى PhistucK،Ian Kilpatrick،blink-dev
Lgtm2

Agree this should have chromestatus entry.

TAMURA, Kent

غير مقروءة،
08‏/03‏/2018، 7:06:47 م8‏/3‏/2018
إلى Ojan Vafai،PhistucK،Ian Kilpatrick،blink-dev
LGTM3.

Lgtm2

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Florian Rivoal

غير مقروءة،
08‏/03‏/2018، 7:58:29 م8‏/3‏/2018
إلى TAMURA, Kent،Ojan Vafai،PhistucK،Ian Kilpatrick،blink-dev
Hi,

No issue with this at all.

I just wanted to let you know that Fantasai and I just drafted a tentative solution for a standard version of (-webkit-)line-clamp. I guess this should be of interest to people working on this.

Feedback about the design, as well as about web compat constraints very much welcome.

—Florian

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAGH7WqHe%3DOHWaQq4o_U1bFq5wvun68gEGtpGy6iLOYRSLC1G7g%40mail.gmail.com.

Ian Kilpatrick

غير مقروءة،
08‏/03‏/2018، 8:23:27 م8‏/3‏/2018
إلى Florian Rivoal،TAMURA, Kent،Ojan Vafai،PhistucK،blink-dev
الرد على الكل
رد على الكاتب
إعادة توجيه
0 رسالة جديدة