Design doc for comment: Per-page CSS Animation UseCounters

Suzy Howlett

Jan 22, 2017, 6:35:21 PM1/22/17
to blink-dev
Hi blink-dev,

I am looking at converting the UseCounters for animated CSS properties from counting once per animation to counting once per page (crbug.com/458925). I have a design doc in progress for this work, and seek your input: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NMr3GPZx2elAC7JmC23l_HqD-gS1oaHzmgH_wg_CKf8/edit

In particular, I would like your advice on the 'deprecation period' for the old UseCounters. The old counters can be maintained alongside the new for some period of time to allow (a) side-by-side comparison and (b) time to switch over, if anyone is presently relying on these statistics. However, it is not clear to me how long this period should be. What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Suzy

Timothy Dresser

Jan 23, 2017, 8:02:38 AM1/23/17
to Suzy Howlett, blink-dev
For similar modifications of performance metrics, we've generally kept the old metrics around until we've been able to compare the new and old metrics in stable for a full release, and then removed them. As far as I know, this has always been adequate.

Rick Byers

Jan 23, 2017, 2:44:02 PM1/23/17
to Timothy Dresser, Suzy Howlett, blink-dev, Eric Bidelman
Thanks for driving this!

Yeah this is complicated a bit by the fact that the old metrics are exposed on chromestatus.com.  I'm not sure what we'll want to do with the timelines on chromestatus - will they just have a big jump, should they be cleared out to show only new data, or should they have some visual indicator showing when the semantics changed from old to new?

Regardless I think this is a special case of the UseCounter update Eric and I are doing so hopefully we can just follow whatever pattern we figure out there.  Until now I had been ignoring the CSS animation histogram, but after you've landed the new UseCounter-based histogram for them we should just include them in the discussion...

Eric Bidelman

Jan 23, 2017, 5:55:46 PM1/23/17
to Rick Byers, Timothy Dresser, Suzy Howlett, blink-dev
For chromestatus, I'd love to keep the historical data visible (it's useful to see several years of trends) but annotate the charts when the jump happens.