Use chrome.fileSystem to access to Downloads folder without user permission

phili...@smoothwall.net

Jul 19, 2017, 11:02:18 AM7/19/17
to apps-dev
I am writing an app / extension combo for schools and business that will run only on chromebooks and require access to the users Downloads folder. I can get this by using chrome.fileSystem.chooseEntry. The problem is that the user is shown a popup to select the folder..

Ok,so I can use chrome.fileSystem.retainEntry to store the permission, but I'd prefer it if the user does not even have to do this at all.

Is there a way to give my app / extension access to the downloads folder, without asking the users permission ? perhap a managed app using googles "Chrome for business and education" ?

I need to be able to read and delete files from the Downloads folder.