Build a kiosk app with Chrome App Builder, having some issues with properly clearing the session.

Anthony

Oct 19, 2016, 12:31:51 PM10/19/16
to apps-dev
I work at a library, and we're looking at updating our OPACs (card catalogs), and using Chromeboxes to do so. We've been testing some Kiosk apps, and have found some things that basically work the way we want them to. I've built an app with Chrome App Builder, which was chosen over some of the other available kiosk apps because it included the option to have the back and forward buttons.

However, the last issue we found is that if we leave the app to time out (currently two minutes), or we press "Restart Session," it does go back to the start page and even logs the user out, if they were logged in -- but the next user (or the same user) can still hit the back and forward buttons to navigate. So we potentially have the issue of a patron sitting down and using the OPAC for a few minutes, hitting Restart, walking away, and then having the very next user sitting down and pressing back to go through their browsing history. Even though the previous user will be logged out, the next can still see a cached version of their user account page.

The simplest obvious solution would be to turn off the back and forward buttons. But we like that functionality, and would like to keep it.

So ideally we'd like to be able to force the app to either truly restart (even a full reboot, if necessary), or to at least clear the browsing history. We want this to happen either on a set time-out (likely two minutes), if someone leaves it without hitting "Restart Session," or by hitting the "Restart Session" button.

I'm happy to hack up some text files or whatever to make this work the way I want it to. I've looked through the exported files, and right now I just don't have the requisite knowledge to know what to look for. It doesn't look like pure jibberish to me -- but at the same time, I don't understand all of it.

Thanks!

Anthony

Oct 19, 2016, 12:33:42 PM10/19/16
to apps-dev
Also: By disabling the back and forward buttons on the user interface, if we use Chromebox keyboards, that have the back and forward keys on them, this is still an issue.