Android App to Chrome App

Matt Zabojnik

Feb 28, 2016, 6:01:56 PM2/28/16
to apps-dev
Hello,

I have the source code for an open source android app, and I'd like to repackage it as a chrome extension.

What I'm not trying to do:
Run ARChron to run the apk in Chrome. I'm already able to do this, but for the purpose of redistribution, this simply won't work. The file sizes are too large to redistribute all that's necessary to run apk's in chrome. What I want to do is package the source as a chrome extension, with a small file size, that can run on ChromeOS, Windows, OSX, and Linux.

Thank you!

Antony Sargent

Feb 29, 2016, 1:45:15 PM2/29/16
to Matt Zabojnik, apps-dev
The Android runtime is pretty big and not built in to chrome, so I'm not sure if there's any magic solution to your problem. Even ARC (which only officially supports ChromeOS) requires a fairly large (~150mb) download of the ARC runtime for the first app installed that uses it, although the runtime gets installed as what we called a "shared module extension" which can then be shared by any additional ARC apps that get installed.