HTTP3

Christopher Brown

Aug 11, 2022, 5:15:26 AM8/11/22
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
Hi Folks

Is there anyway to identify http3 streams as a middle box vendor?

Obviously the QUIC Version information is available, but I assume that v1 is not going to map exclusively to h3.

Thanks
Chris

Christopher Brown

Aug 11, 2022, 5:30:50 AM8/11/22
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, Christopher Brown
is it enough to be QUIC V1 AND have h3 in the alpn?

Ian Swett

Aug 11, 2022, 12:09:19 PM8/11/22
to proto...@chromium.org, Christopher Brown
The alpn is how you'd identify it's HTTP/3.  I would expect that to be reliable, at least in all the cases I can think of.

Erik Nygren

Aug 11, 2022, 12:30:25 PM8/11/22
to proto...@chromium.org, Christopher Brown
Note that with ECH, the alpn on the outer client hello won't necessarily match the inner.  Version greasing may also confuse middle boxes.

- Erik

     [Sent from my IPv6 connected T-Mobile 4G LTE mobile device]

David Schinazi

Aug 11, 2022, 12:47:11 PM8/11/22
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, Christopher Brown
Identifying QUIC and HTTP/3 is not straightforward. Here's official documentation on it, this will soon be published as RFC:

But more importantly, as others have noted, all you can do is make guesses about what traffic is HTTP/3 if you do not have the encryption keys.

David

Christopher Brown

Aug 11, 2022, 2:29:23 PM8/11/22
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, dschina...@gmail.com, Christopher Brown
thanks guys, appreciate the time taken to reply.
Chris