Re: [blink-dev] Re: Intent to Ship: The ImageBitmap rendering context for <canvas>

Rick Byers

Oct 25, 2016, 11:25:14 AM10/25/16
to Justin Novosad, smaug, Boris Zbarsky, Anne van Kesteren, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev, platform-predictability
Ok, thanks everyone for the good discussion.  Sounds like shipping this is the right next step.  LGTM2 to ship.

Separately there's lots of good learning here for our interop efforts.  We're doing a variety of things to try to make the workflow Boris describes easy for blink engineers (easy updating web-platform-tests, regular sync, semi-automatic bug filing for new failures in areas teams have opted into, etc.).

Rick

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Justin Novosad <ju...@chromium.org> wrote:
Right. We have a bunch of tests we should upstream to web-platform-tests ASAP.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 10:57 AM, smaug <sm...@welho.com> wrote:
On 10/25/2016 05:00 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but I wonder what's preferable when we make
changes to standards. Updated tests or bugs whenever we make a change
to something that's implemented?

In an ideal world, I think it would be:

1) Updated tests.

This should also include running tests on browsers, since then in an ideal world we'd catch sooner when there will
be breaking changes in specs, and spec's would hopefully have fewer regressions. Kind of a variant of 3) but just happening asap.
I thought there has been some plans to get this done.

-Olli

2) Browsers syncing to upstream tests often.
3) Browsers filing bugs during the sync process when
    a failing upstream test comes in, or a previously
    passing test starts to fail.

We have #2 in Firefox but not #3.  I've been pushing for it, but progress has been slow.  :(  As a result, no one notices when updated tests happen,
unfortunately.

So for the moment, bugs are probably more useful in terms of getting Firefox to align with spec changes.  Updated tests would save the engineer fixing
the bug the work of writing tests of course.  ;)

But really, we should get #3 happening.

Obviously, updated tests are much better than nothing, and are a good habit to get into for the long-term future, per above.

-Boris

TAMURA, Kent

Oct 25, 2016, 11:59:08 PM10/25/16
to Rick Byers, Justin Novosad, smaug, Boris Zbarsky, Anne van Kesteren, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev, platform-predictability
LGTM3 to ship.

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google