Auto CC when merging bugs

Bruce Dawson

Dec 11, 2020, 3:44:46 PM12/11/20
to infr...@chromium.org
When one bug is closed as a duplicate of another it is not obvious what should be done with the list of people following the original bug. My recollection is that nothing used to be done, or perhaps the people CCed were starred on the remaining bug, but when I duped a bug yesterday the CC list was copied over. Since the remaining bug was Restrict-View-EditIssue this meant that a few more people than expected could see it.

Has this changed lately? None of us can remember for sure.

The current behavior can be seen here where several people (including two non-chromium.org accounts) got CCed:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1157639#c3

I found an older merge that shows different behavior. Somewhat different at least. In this example I can see that one of the five CCed people got copied over:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=941740#c7

I can definitely see the value in copying the CC list over but it feels like some sort of reminder or notification or confirmation would be appropriate in order to avoid accidental information disclosure. Thoughts?

--
Bruce Dawson

Andy Perelson

Dec 14, 2020, 9:02:57 PM12/14/20
to Bruce Dawson, chops-workflow-team, infra-dev
+chops-workflow-team

I don't think anything around this has changed recently, but adding the workflow team that maintains Monorail in case any of them remember more details than I do.

Andy

Bruce Dawson

Dec 15, 2020, 1:02:12 AM12/15/20
to Andy Perelson, chops-workflow-team, infra-dev
Maybe consider popping up a message just mentioning that CCs were moved to the other bug? If I dup bug A to bug D then I may not look at bug D for a long time, which will occasionally be a problem.

It seems like reasonable and helpful behavior most of the time, but there is some security risk currently.
--
Bruce Dawson

Andy Perelson

Dec 21, 2020, 3:12:40 PM12/21/20
to Bruce Dawson, chops-workflow-team, infra-dev

Bruce Dawson

Dec 21, 2020, 3:20:03 PM12/21/20
to Andy Perelson, chops-workflow-team, infra-dev
Thanks!
--
Bruce Dawson