master to main branch migration for chromium/src repo. Creating the main branch on April 6th.

Normando Rosas

Mar 10, 2021, 2:26:13 PM3/10/21
to mainbranch...@chromium.org

Bcc: infra-a...@chromium.org, chromi...@chromium.org, commi...@chromium.org

tl;dr The Chops Source team will move forward with the chromium/src git master to main branch migration. On April 6th  we will create the new main branch for this repo.

Hello Chromium community,

We are moving forward with the master to main branch migration for chromium/src repo.  Lessons learned from November previous attempts with infra/infra have been incorporated and resulted into a more streamlined migration approach, with fewer stages, and more resilient and simple in case of rollback. Monday March 8th, we successfully created the new main branch for infra/infra repository, and now it's the turn for chromium/src.

Here is a brief description of the new/remaining stages for chromium/src migration along with ETAs:

  • Legacy state. This is the current state, i.e. the main branch does not exist.

  • Main branch is created. [4/6]. Main branch is created, and master is kept in sync with it. CLs will start to be sent and submitted to main. New git clones will have main as their default branch. All existing CLs will be moved from master to main. CLs are still accepted in the master branch, but are redirected to main on upload. Tools and services should start pointing to main. Tools and service owners keep this in consideration for planning.

  • Master branch is stale/temporarily deleted. [7/20]. The purpose of this stage is to detect if there are more tools that need to be fixed. If that is the case the master branch is restored and synced to main, and we revert to the previous step.

  • Master branch deleted. [TBD].

Should you find any issues during the migration  you can contact us submitting a bug here or at mainbranch...@chromium.org

To learn more about how this migration is being done,  refer to:

Regards, Gavin, Josip  and Norman on behalf of the ChOps Source team.

Normando Rosas

Apr 2, 2021, 3:21:51 PM4/2/21
to mainbranch...@chromium.org

Heads up. This will be happening on Tuesday, April 6th (as previously announced), around noon time.
Should you find any issues during the migration  you can contact us submitting a bug here or at mainbranch...@chromium.org
Regards,

Normando Rosas

Apr 6, 2021, 5:17:46 PM4/6/21
to mainbranch...@chromium.org

Bcc: infra-a...@chromium.org, chromi...@chromium.org, commi...@chromium.org

Hello Chromium community,

main branch has been created for chromium/src and HEAD points to it. Uploads were temporarily rejected during the migration. You can now start making changes to your tools and services to point to main too. We will start delaying the master branch (currently being kept in sync with main) on Tuesday, July 20th to help detect any other tools that need to be fixed.