PSA: Updating our copyright header

Avi Drissman

Sep 7, 2022, 11:49:58 AM9/7/22
to Chromium-dev, Chromium Embedders
Howdy, folks.

The lawyers have reached out and asked us to update the copyright headers that we use in our files, so we will be doing so. This will be a churn, but given that no one should be touching those anyway, there should be no conflicts.

While the text is a bit different:

// Copyright [year] The [Chromium|ChromiumOS] Authors
// Use of this source code is governed by a BSD-style license that can be
// found in the LICENSE file.

The rules remain the same:
- When creating a new file, use the current year in this header.
- When modifying a file, do not modify the header.

No specific action is required on your part other than to use the new header format.

Avi

Anthony Vallee-Dubois

Sep 7, 2022, 7:17:58 PM9/7/22
to a...@google.com, Chromium-dev, Chromium Embedders
Hi Avi,

The presubmit check on git cl upload seems unaware of this change:

image.png
Note that I generated these files with tools/boilerplate.py (which *has* been updated) so their license is:

// Copyright 2022 The Chromium Authors.

// Use of this source code is governed by a BSD-style license that can be
// found in the LICENSE file.

Is this a known issue? Should this presubmit check be skipped to land the newer license or should the old license be landed until the presubmit check is changed?

Thanks,
Anthony

Erik Anderson

Sep 7, 2022, 7:23:36 PM9/7/22
to Anthony Vallee-Dubois, a...@google.com, Chromium-dev, Chromium Embedders

The issue appears to be the trailing period at the end of the first line in tools/boilerplate.py which doesn’t match the expected format/regex.

The presubmit check on git cl upload seems unaware of this change:

Mark Mentovai

Sep 7, 2022, 7:51:17 PM9/7/22
to anth...@chromium.org, Avi Drissman, Chromium-dev, Chromium Embedders
Anthony Vallee-Dubois wrote:
Hi Avi,

The presubmit check on git cl upload seems unaware of this change:

image.png
Note that I generated these files with tools/boilerplate.py (which *has* been updated) so their license is:

boilerplate.py was updated to an interim boilerplate that was later shortened by one character upon receipt of the most current advice from lawyers:

// Copyright 2022 The Chromium Authors.

There’s an errant period at the end of that line that needs to be removed.

Avi Drissman

Sep 7, 2022, 8:16:45 PM9/7/22
to guest271314, Chromium-dev, anth...@chromium.org, Chromium Embedders
The phrasing of the copyright header is above my pay grade, sorry.

Re tools/boilerplate.py, you are correct in that it is not generating the correct header. I will get to that tomorrow.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 7:56 PM guest271314 <guest...@gmail.com> wrote:
Some Chromium source code from 2013 has that preamble, some source code from 2015 does not.

Suggestion: Include full path (link) to LICENSE file in parentheses adjacent to below

I used some Chromium source code in a project a few days ago. I included the LICENSE in comments above the section cotaining the specific Chromium source code used.

It would be helpful to have the direct link to the primary reference in the document, updated to the current full path if necessary, programmatically.

Fergal Daly

Sep 7, 2022, 11:15:11 PM9/7/22
to Avi Drissman, guest271314, Chromium-dev, anth...@chromium.org, Chromium Embedders
CQ android-binary-size is failing because ". All rights reserved." is missing.

Daniel Cheng

Sep 8, 2022, 12:18:37 AM9/8/22
to Fergal Daly, Avi Drissman, guest271314, Chromium-dev, anth...@chromium.org, Chromium Embedders
Those failures should be fixed now. There were three CLs that were reverted over 3-4 hours; unfortunately, it seems like the failing step would only produce one error at a time, so it took a bit of time to sort out.

Daniel

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Chromium Embedders" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/embedder-dev/CAAozHL%3DSichWROAjKDGb7aq5ap%3D08871EuYvpv_eaXehEy9KhQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Avi Drissman

Sep 8, 2022, 12:21:39 AM9/8/22
to Daniel Cheng, Chromium Embedders, Chromium-dev, Fergal Daly, anth...@chromium.org, guest271314
Apologies. It turns out that altering a comment is not as innocuous as I assumed it would be. I now know what went wrong and hope to resume tomorrow.

dan...@chromium.org

Sep 8, 2022, 12:27:34 PM9/8/22
to guest...@gmail.com, Mark Mentovai, Anthony Vallee-Dubois, Avi Drissman, Chromium-dev, Chromium Embedders
On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 12:25 PM guest271314 <guest...@gmail.com> wrote:
Some of Chromium source code has that preamble, some Chromium source code from 2015 does not.

Suggestion:

Include full path to the LICENSE file in paratheses adjacent to what the lawyers advised at close of sentence
I included the license above some Chromium source code in a project a few days ago.

It will be helpful for canonical link to the license in each source code file as described above, for expediency.

We should follow the text specified by the lawyers without modification.

K. Moon

Sep 8, 2022, 12:37:34 PM9/8/22
to dan...@chromium.org, guest...@gmail.com, Mark Mentovai, Anthony Vallee-Dubois, Avi Drissman, Chromium-dev, Chromium Embedders

Avi Drissman

Sep 8, 2022, 12:42:02 PM9/8/22
to K. Moon, Dana Jansens, guest271314, Mark Mentovai, Anthony Vallee-Dubois, Chromium-dev, Chromium Embedders
Indeed, lawyers gonna lawyer. I am not qualified to opine on legal issues, so I'm going to do exactly what they say.

Some followup:

- The boilerplate script is now updated. Thanks!
- The lack of period strikes me personally as weird too, but we did ask the lawyers about it, and they declared that it was standard practice.

Avi

Lei Zhang

Sep 9, 2022, 8:22:10 PM9/9/22
to a...@google.com, Chromium-dev, Chromium Embedders
Are other projects in the Chromium-sphere going to do similar updates?
ANGLE/Dawn/PDFium/Skia/V8, etc.

Avi Drissman

Sep 10, 2022, 7:33:55 PM9/10/22
to Lei Zhang, Chromium-dev, Chromium Embedders
I will inquire.

Avi Drissman

Sep 12, 2022, 2:08:54 PM9/12/22
to Lei Zhang, Chromium-dev, Chromium Embedders
The lawyer says that the changes in adjusting the copyright headers of Chromium and ChromiumOS are the same guidance that it would be appropriate for all the associated open-source projects to follow.

To the question of are they going to do that update, I don't know. It would be best if the owners of those projects took on this change. I can relay guidance.

Avi