C++17 feature proposal: Allow type trait variable templates

Daniel Cheng

Jan 6, 2022, 3:41:36 PM1/6/22
to cxx
It saves typing, e.g. instead of:
  std::is_pointer<T>::value

One can simply write:
  std::is_pointer_v<T>

With only 80 columns, each character is precious :)

Example:

Daniel

dan...@chromium.org

Jan 6, 2022, 3:53:31 PM1/6/22
to Daniel Cheng, cxx
Yes I would like to see us use these now.

Avi Drissman

Jan 6, 2022, 3:54:07 PM1/6/22
to Daniel Cheng, cxx
+1

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 3:41 PM Daniel Cheng <dch...@chromium.org> wrote:

Peter Kasting

Jan 6, 2022, 3:59:23 PM1/6/22
to Daniel Cheng, cxx
+1

PK

Jeremy Roman

Jan 6, 2022, 4:20:07 PM1/6/22
to Peter Kasting, Daniel Cheng, cxx
+1, though FWIW std::is_pointer<T>() has always been as short. :)

Will Cassella

Jan 6, 2022, 5:17:24 PM1/6/22
to cxx, Jeremy Roman, Daniel Cheng, cxx, Peter Kasting
+1, code involving <type_traits> can often be somewhat difficult to read, this feature improves readability.

Roland Bock

Jan 7, 2022, 2:41:39 AM1/7/22
to Will Cassella, cxx, Jeremy Roman, Daniel Cheng, Peter Kasting

Honglin Yu

Jan 7, 2022, 5:39:05 AM1/7/22
to Roland Bock, Will Cassella, cxx, Jeremy Roman, Daniel Cheng, Peter Kasting
+1, just noticed that there is also "*_t" for "::type" like std::conditional_t

Peter Kasting

Feb 21, 2022, 11:08:33 PM2/21/22
to Daniel Cheng, cxx
AFAICT this landed but the text in the markdown still says "[tbd]".  Someone want to fix that quick?  (Sorry, I'm on vacation and not on a work setup)

PK

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 12:41 PM Daniel Cheng <dch...@chromium.org> wrote:

Daniel Cheng

Feb 22, 2022, 1:43:26 AM2/22/22