Does anyone still support a distro that uses libudev.so.0?

Lei Zhang

Sep 17, 2020, 3:53:26 AM9/17/20
to chromium-packagers
Hi Chromium packagers,

I did a bunch of work years ago in https://crrev.com/305314 and
https://crrev.com/305348 so Chromium can run on Linux distros with
either libudev.so.0 or libudev.so.1. It's been a while, so I would
like to undo my work. At the very minimum, I would like to remove the
checks for libudev.so.0. I would also like to remove the dynamic

Before taking any actions, I'm wondering if anyone is still running
modern Chromium on a Linux distro that uses libudev.so.0. I think RHEL
6 ships with libudev.so.0, but support for RHEL 6 looks to be at the
end, assuming I read RedHat's lifecycle info correctly.

Olivier Tilloy

Sep 17, 2020, 4:00:13 AM9/17/20
to Lei Zhang, chromium-packagers
On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 9:53 AM Lei Zhang <the...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi Chromium packagers,

Hi Lei,

> I did a bunch of work years ago in https://crrev.com/305314 and
> https://crrev.com/305348 so Chromium can run on Linux distros with
> either libudev.so.0 or libudev.so.1. It's been a while, so I would
> like to undo my work. At the very minimum, I would like to remove the
> checks for libudev.so.0. I would also like to remove the dynamic
>
> Before taking any actions, I'm wondering if anyone is still running
> modern Chromium on a Linux distro that uses libudev.so.0.

Not Ubuntu. The oldest supported release is 16.04 (xenial), and it has
libudev.so.1.

Tomáš Popela

Sep 17, 2020, 4:30:21 AM9/17/20
to chromium-packagers, Lei Zhang
Hi Lei,

Dne čtvrtek 17. září 2020 v 9:53:26 UTC+2 uživatel Lei Zhang napsal:
Hi Chromium packagers,

Before taking any actions, I'm wondering if anyone is still running
modern Chromium on a Linux distro that uses libudev.so.0. I think RHEL
6 ships with libudev.so.0,

Yes, that's true.

but support for RHEL 6 looks to be at the
end, assuming I read RedHat's lifecycle info correctly.

And that's true as well. It will go EOL by the end of November 2020. But we will rebase to the newer version until that happens. So if you could target a Chromium major version that won't be in stable channel at that point, we would appreciate it. According to https://www.chromestatus.com/features/schedule it probably will be Chromium 88.

Bye,
Tom (Red Hat)

Dirk Pranke

Sep 17, 2020, 12:19:11 PM9/17/20
to Olivier Tilloy, Lei Zhang, chromium-packagers
Chrome itself still supports Trusty (14.04), so we'd still need to be careful if it only has .0.

-- Dirk

Olivier Tilloy

Sep 17, 2020, 12:28:24 PM9/17/20
to Dirk Pranke, Lei Zhang, chromium-packagers
On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 6:19 PM Dirk Pranke <dpr...@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 1:00 AM Olivier Tilloy <olivier...@canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 9:53 AM Lei Zhang <the...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Chromium packagers,
>>
>> Hi Lei,
>>

>> > I did a bunch of work years ago in https://crrev.com/305314 and
>> > https://crrev.com/305348 so Chromium can run on Linux distros with
>> > either libudev.so.0 or libudev.so.1. It's been a while, so I would
>> > like to undo my work. At the very minimum, I would like to remove the
>> > checks for libudev.so.0. I would also like to remove the dynamic
>> >
>> > Before taking any actions, I'm wondering if anyone is still running
>> > modern Chromium on a Linux distro that uses libudev.so.0.
>>
>> Not Ubuntu. The oldest supported release is 16.04 (xenial), and it has
>> libudev.so.1.
>

> Chrome itself still supports Trusty (14.04), so we'd still need to be careful if it only has .0.

Trusty also has libudev.so.1 (systemd 204), so that should be fine.

Lei Zhang

Sep 17, 2020, 12:34:02 PM9/17/20
to Tomáš Popela, chromium-packagers
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll wait and see if anyone else
chimes in for other distros.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 1:30 AM Tomáš Popela <tomas....@gmail.com> wrote:
> And that's true as well. It will go EOL by the end of November 2020. But we will rebase to the newer version until that happens. So if you could target a Chromium major version that won't be in stable channel at that point, we would appreciate it. According to https://www.chromestatus.com/features/schedule it probably will be Chromium 88.

I have no plans to work on this immediately, so this will definitely
be for Chromium 88 or later. Just wanted to get the conversation
started.

Mike Frysinger

Nov 2, 2020, 12:03:51 PM11/2/20
to Lei Zhang, Tomáš Popela, chromium-packagers
couldn't we use UMA for this sort of thing ?
-mike

Eric Hameleers

Nov 4, 2020, 5:03:15 AM11/4/20
to chromium-packagers, Lei Zhang
Hi Lei

The Slackware platforms for which I provide Chromium packages (latest stable aka Slackware 14.2, and also the development release aka slackware-current) all ship libudev.so.1.

Cheers, Eric

Lei Zhang

Aug 6, 2021, 1:24:39 PM8/6/21
to Mike Frysinger, Tomáš Popela, chromium-packagers
On another issue, we found base::debug::DumpWithoutCrashing() gave us
the feedback we needed without the overhead of adding an UMA. I've
filed https://crbug.com/1237497 for this work.