chromium 103 stable release for linux?

Andres Salomon

Jul 7, 2022, 4:17:11 PM7/7/22
to chromium-packagers
Hi,

I noticed on Monday, July 4th there were chromium stable releases done for Windows and Android, and today one released for ChromeOS. However, there hasn't been a release for Linux yet, despite 3 CVEs being fixed in the other releases.

Is the Linux security update release pending? Was that just a typo in the blog post (https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2022/07/stable-channel-update-for-desktop.html) that failed to mention Linux, and I should be packaging up 103.0.5060.114 for my distribution?

Thanks,
Andres

Lei Zhang

Jul 7, 2022, 4:18:58 PM7/7/22
to Andres Salomon, chromium-packagers
You can see on https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/ that Chrome Linux got
the same update on July 4th.

Lei Zhang

Jul 7, 2022, 4:19:29 PM7/7/22
to Andres Salomon, chromium-packagers
(From the right account)

You can see on https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/ that Chrome Linux got
the same update on July 4th.

Andres Salomon

Jul 7, 2022, 4:37:18 PM7/7/22
to Lei Zhang, chromium-packagers
Ah, great. Thanks!
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in
> the Google Groups "chromium-packagers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/topic/chromium-packagers/UpnLsbSojbg/unsubscribe.
> chromium-packag...@chromium.org.
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-packagers/CACSHbcTBaswmthn%3DQdOpm_3LdyW1QkreuDSyVngR%2B-8Oh%2BN9eA%40mail.gmail.com.

Andres Salomon

Jul 7, 2022, 4:57:17 PM7/7/22
to Lei Zhang, chromium-packagers
Did the download location change? I don't see a 103.0.5060.114 tarball
on
https://gsdview.appspot.com/chromium-browser-official/?marker=chromium-102.0.5005.125.tar.x%40

103.0.5060.66 seems to be the highest numbered version tarball on there
of the v103 branch.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 16:37, Andres Salomon <dili...@queued.net>
wrote:
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-packagers/WX3OER.MHH0KAW1UOUY%40queued.net.

Lei Zhang

Jul 7, 2022, 5:05:50 PM7/7/22
to Andres Salomon, chromium-packagers
It looks like chromium-103.0.5060.70.tar.xz just got created today.
Maybe the bot publishing the tarballs is a bit behind? Let's check
back tomorrow and see if it caught up.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-packagers/7V4OER.GMVFJLOZ0UFL1%40queued.net.

Andres Salomon

Jul 8, 2022, 3:09:56 PM7/8/22
to Lei Zhang, chromium-packagers

Lei Zhang

Jul 8, 2022, 3:29:49 PM7/8/22
to Andres Salomon, chromium-packagers
Indeed. I don't know how the publish_tarball bot's scheduling works,
so it's a mystery to me too.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-packagers/9KUPER.X7XBOW3Q2SN7%40queued.net.

Andres Salomon

Jul 8, 2022, 3:50:25 PM7/8/22
to Lei Zhang, chromium-packagers
Arch seems to have updated to 114 with their git script, but I'm seeing
other distributions like gentoo, mint, fedora, and opensuse all running
53 (or older, in the case of fedora).

If the tarball publishing is going to be unreliable, I'm wondering if
we (debian) should switch to also using a git clone for our builds. Has
this kind of thing happened before? I've only been maintaining chromium
since January, and while I have definitely noticed tarball mirroring
lagging up to a day after the blog post announcement, I've not seen
anything like this.
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-packagers/CACSHbcRyoT3jgykdC_hPMfPGLEy%2Bds8kngRZ1QqGOFLq1oPOdA%40mail.gmail.com.

Evangelos Foutras

Jul 8, 2022, 9:59:27 PM7/8/22
to Lei Zhang, Andres Salomon, chromium-packagers
On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 00:05, Lei Zhang <the...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Maybe the bot publishing the tarballs is a bit behind?

Indeed, it's being worked on: https://crbug.com/1341418

Evangelos Foutras

Jul 8, 2022, 10:20:07 PM7/8/22
to Andres Salomon, Lei Zhang, chromium-packagers
On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 22:50, Andres Salomon <dili...@queued.net> wrote:
> If the tarball publishing is going to be unreliable, I'm wondering if
> we (debian) should switch to also using a git clone for our builds. Has
> this kind of thing happened before?

I only remember one more time the delay was out of the ordinary. [1]
But generally it has not been a problem as the tarballs become
available within half a day of appearing on [2].

[1] https://crbug.com/904350
[2] https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/

Andres Salomon

Jul 9, 2022, 2:04:34 PM7/9/22
to chromium-packagers, evan...@foutrelis.com, Andres Salomon, chromium-packagers, Lei Zhang
Ah, so that was the issue. Thanks.

It finally mirrored:

wget -nv --show-progress -c https://gsdview.appspot.com/chromium-browser-official/chromium-103.0.5060.114.tar.xz -O ../chromium-103.0.5060.114.tar.xz
                 ../chr  85%[=======================>     ]   1.17G  31.0MB/s    eta 9s

Raphael Kubo da Costa

Jul 12, 2022, 7:02:57 AM7/12/22
On 08-07-2022 21:50, Andres Salomon wrote:
> Arch seems to have updated to 114 with their git script, but I'm
> seeing other distributions like gentoo, mint, fedora, and opensuse all
> running 53 (or older, in the case of fedora).
>
> If the tarball publishing is going to be unreliable, I'm wondering if
> we (debian) should switch to also using a git clone for our builds.
> Has this kind of thing happened before? I've only been maintaining
> chromium since January, and while I have definitely noticed tarball
> mirroring lagging up to a day after the blog post announcement, I've
> not seen anything like this.
>
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 12:29, Lei Zhang <the...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> Indeed. I don't know how the publish_tarball bot's scheduling works,
>> so it's a mystery to me too.

publish_tarball works by having a publish_tarball_dispatcher bot
(https://ci.chromium.org/p/infra/builders/cron/publish_tarball_dispatcher)
that runs every 3 hours
(https://source.chromium.org/chromium/infra/infra/+/main:infra/config/subprojects/tarballs.star;l=28;drc=901c0c3d2b4ca5771b0da7f024e1bc093baf4770),
looks at omahaproxy.appspot.com/history and triggers builds for versions
that do not have a corresponding tarball on Google Storage.

The publish tarball's code itself is available here:
-
https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/tools/build/+/main:recipes/recipes/publish_tarball.py
-
https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/tools/build/+/main:recipes/recipe_modules/chromium/resources/export_tarball.py

As Evangelos said, tarball generation tends to be fairly reliable
although sometimes slow. The good part of https://crbug.com/1341418 is
that the machine(s) used for this have had their capacity increased at
least temporarily. In general, when it takes too long for a tarball to
show up one or more packagers will report it here just like you did, and
it's usually a bug somewhere (unfortunately the publish_tarball bot is
not watched by a lot of Chromium developers so every now and then there
ends up being a change that breaks things when a script's arguments
change or a new script needs to be run).