Chrome IPC legacy Conversion Status

Dave Tapuska

Jan 28, 2020, 11:18:18 AM1/28/20
to platform-architecture-dev, chromium-mojo, Mario Sanchez Prada, Gary Klassen
I've been tracking the Chrome Legacy IPC conversion roughly and I just wanted to share some graphs. The work with Igalia has been picking up in the last month or so it has been more than just me plugging away at these changes so the speed has gone much quicker. Yes this is a rough query and is biased because it is based on routed messages. A quick git grep IPC_MESSAGE_CONTROL returns 581 instances because control messages are largely used for gpu, ppapi, extensions and ozone.  Nonetheless in the past month we've removed over 41 messages on the content layer.

Supporting Query:
git grep IPC_MESSAGE_ROUTED.\( | wc -l

8/28/201911/8/201912/18/20191/28/2020
Content296264255214
Other199193194191
Chromium TOTAL495457449406
image.png

Kentaro Hara

Jan 28, 2020, 11:53:17 AM1/28/20
to Dave Tapuska, platform-architecture-dev, chromium-mojo, Mario Sanchez Prada, Gary Klassen
Thank you very much for leading the legacy IPC conversion :) This removes a lot of headaches from many projects -- BFcache, Multiple Blink Isolates, tab freezing etc!

Kentaro Hara, Tokyo, Japan