How can I allow JS set HTML <input type='file'> value

ZhiCheng Lee

Jul 3, 2020, 8:30:15 AM7/3/20
to Chromium HTML5
Chrome Tell me that Uncaught DOMException: Failed to set the 'value' property on 'HTMLInputElement': This input element accepts a filename, which may only be programmatically set to the empty string When I cry to edit value via JS

PhistucK

Jul 3, 2020, 8:32:57 AM7/3/20
to ZhiCheng Lee, Chromium HTML5
I believe this is by design. Do other browsers behave differently?

You cannot have a value in a file input if there is no file to back it up.
Web developers cannot programmatically load a path to the file input, as that will allow them to read arbitrary files off the persistent memory of the user, including personal, security or otherwise sensitive information.

PhistucK