Launching crosh from Secure Shell

Russell Davies

Jun 9, 2013, 8:47:27 PM6/9/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org
In chromeos-crosh.txt it mentions "You can get to crosh from Secure Shell by typing "crosh" when prompted for a destination. (This won't work on non-Chrome OS systems, of course.)" I tried this on a Chrome OS system and couldn't get it to work, am I supposed to be typing "crosh" in the "username@hostname or free flow text" input in the connection prompt?

I did manage to get into crosh by opening the JavaScript console and issuing "document.location = 'crosh.html'" but it would be handier to get it through the connection prompt. The reason I want to do this is because when crosh is running in a window maximized it has a distracting black title bar, the Secure Shell app as a maximized window doesn't have this (just the window controls in the top right).

Robert Ginda

Jun 19, 2013, 5:53:40 PM6/19/13
to Russell Davies, chromium-hterm
Sorry, the FAQ is outdated.  There isn't currently a way to open crosh from the Secure Shell connect dialog.  You can open crosh in an app window with this extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/crosh-window/nhbmpbdladcchdhkemlojfjdknjadhmh

Rob.

Russell Davies

Jun 20, 2013, 11:36:15 AM6/20/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org, Russell Davies
Thanks, any way to hide the window title bar when maximized like Secure Shell does?

Robert Ginda

Jun 21, 2013, 2:35:45 PM6/21/13
to Russell Davies, Andrew de los Reyes, chromium-hterm
+adlr, owner of crosh-window

Not without some changes the crosh-window app.

Secure Shell is a v1 app and I guess they get this behavior for free.  crosh-window is a v2 app that opens crosh in a v2 app window.  I guess it doesn't come for free with v2 apps, and I'm not sure what change would be required to make it happen.

hurtstot...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2013, 3:58:41 PM12/15/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org, Russell Davies
I am in chromeos but I'm historically a linux user. I found that I can open crosh windows using the familiar ctrl-alt-t, which is great. I can use normal ssh commands there to open up a secure shell.

Unfortunately it seems like there is no way to do that and get something that opens "as window", i.e. sends ctrl-W to the terminal rather than the browser. I don't actually care about the fullscreen options with as-window, I just need keyboard commands. I would settle for mouse clicking somewhere (although ctrl-alt-t would be great) if I could get a local terminal via the Secure Shell app somehow. The connect dialog is really annoying. I don't want to set up a profile for every single ssh connection I make. I guess I can delete the one-time profiles, but I'd rather just run an ssh command.

Any tips?

Lauren Weinstein

Dec 17, 2013, 10:27:51 PM12/17/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org
I haven't been following the "intercepted keys" saga for quite sometime, in relation to Secure Shell and characters like Control-N, vis-a-vis crosh, etc. Where does it all stand? From ChromeOS, can we now use Secure Shell and pass these characters without their being intercepted? Thanks!

--Lauren--

Robert Ginda

Dec 18, 2013, 4:49:46 PM12/18/13
to hurtstot...@gmail.com, chromium-hterm, Russell Davies
On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM, <hurtstot...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am in chromeos but I'm historically a linux user. I found that I can open crosh windows using the familiar ctrl-alt-t, which is great. I can use normal ssh commands there to open up a secure shell.

That ssh command is intended as a last resort, for ssh'ing when you don't have time or can't install Secure Shell.  Secure Shell is the "supported" way for typical users to ssh from Chrome OS.

Unfortunately it seems like there is no way to do that and get something that opens "as window", i.e. sends ctrl-W to the terminal rather than the browser. I don't actually care about the fullscreen options with as-window, I just need keyboard commands. I would settle for mouse clicking somewhere (although ctrl-alt-t would be great) if I could get a local terminal via the Secure Shell app somehow. The connect dialog is really annoying. I don't want to set up a profile for every single ssh connection I make. I guess I can delete the one-time profiles, but I'd rather just run an ssh command.

Any tips?

The "crosh window" extension can be used to open crosh in a dedicated window.  It's slightly broken right now in that it's hardcoded to open the stable version of Secure shell/crosh, which has a bug that causes it to eat Ctrl-N.

The latest version of Secure Shell includes a special ">crosh" host which you can use to launch crosh.  The dev version of secure shell has a fix for Ctrl-N in crosh.  Launching Secure Shell so you can launch crosh so you can launch ssh sounds unpleasant to me.

The last (and I hope best) option is to create a single connection profile in Secure Shell and call it "ssh".  When you start Secure Shell you can just overwrite the username/hostname of the connection profile.

Rob.

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Russell Davies <rus...@zeroflux.net> wrote:
In chromeos-crosh.txt it mentions "You can get to crosh from Secure Shell by typing "crosh" when prompted for a destination. (This won't work on non-Chrome OS systems, of course.)" I tried this on a Chrome OS system and couldn't get it to work, am I supposed to be typing "crosh" in the "username@hostname or free flow text" input in the connection prompt?

I did manage to get into crosh by opening the JavaScript console and issuing "document.location = 'crosh.html'" but it would be handier to get it through the connection prompt. The reason I want to do this is because when crosh is running in a window maximized it has a distracting black title bar, the Secure Shell app as a maximized window doesn't have this (just the window controls in the top right).

Robert Ginda

Dec 18, 2013, 4:51:16 PM12/18/13
to Lauren Weinstein, chromium-hterm
You can open Secure Shell in it's own window, and type in any bogus username, and fill in ">crosh" as the hostname.

Suraj Kurapati

May 16, 2014, 10:31:10 AM5/16/14
to chromiu...@chromium.org, Lauren Weinstein, Robert Ginda
On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:51:16 PM UTC-8, Robert Ginda wrote:
> You can open Secure Shell in it's own window, and type in any
> bogus username, and fill in ">crosh" as the hostname.

Please document this on the FAQ at http://goo.gl/TK7876 because it
completely eliminated my need to use the "Crosh Window" extension.

Thanks for your consideration.
Message has been deleted

markre...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2017, 9:02:01 PM8/28/17