Clarification on MV3 and Chrome Apps

Tyler Johnson

Dec 2, 2021, 9:41:16 AM12/2/21
to Chromium Extensions
I can see the sunset page indicates manifest V2 extensions stop working in June 2023.
But it's unclear how this affects Chrome Apps, which must use a manifest version 2.

Can we get a confirmation that the move to manifest V3 does not affect Chrome Apps.

hrg...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2021, 3:12:06 PM12/2/21
to Chromium Extensions, Tyler Johnson
The end of support for Chrome Apps is June 2022, whereas the end of support for Manifest V2 is January 2023.

That is, from this point you have 6 months to replace your Chrome App with another technology/solution.

Tyler Johnson

Dec 2, 2021, 3:23:16 PM12/2/21
to Chromium Extensions, hrg...@gmail.com, Tyler Johnson
The end of support for chrome Apps is "at least January 2025" for Enterprise and Education according to a subsequent post.

hrg...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2021, 3:31:21 PM12/2/21
to Chromium Extensions, Tyler Johnson, hrg...@gmail.com
Wasn't aware of that timeline extension. However, it only benefits Chrome OS. If that's your case, then your App has 2 more years of life.
The end of MV2 one year from now should not affect you, obviously.

Tyler Johnson

Dec 2, 2021, 4:13:06 PM12/2/21
to Chromium Extensions, hrg...@gmail.com, Tyler Johnson
I think it would be obvious if this page specifically indicated that Chrome Apps are exempt from the sunsetting of MV2.
Right now it's implied, at best.

hrg...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2021, 5:29:11 PM12/2/21
to Chromium Extensions, Tyler Johnson, hrg...@gmail.com
That caution message is obviously outdated.
You just have to assume that Apps are not affected by the MV2 deadline, otherwise there's no way that the extended support "until at least January 2025" is possible.
They obviously won't announce something that's not technically possible. They will make what's necessary to keep their word.
Unless, the people at Google decide to hit a new low and stop honoring their word. That would be unexpected even from Google.

Alexei Miagkov

Dec 2, 2021, 5:38:01 PM12/2/21
to hrg...@gmail.com, Chromium Extensions, Tyler Johnson
Just going to leave this quote here for contemplation and future review.

We won’t launch Manifest V3 until it is ready, and there will be a migration period in which we can continue to address feedback and issues.  We will not remove support for Manifest V2 until we are confident in the platform.

-- https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-extensions/c/WcZ42Iqon_M

hrg...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2021, 5:51:05 PM12/2/21
to Chromium Extensions, Alex, Chromium Extensions, Tyler Johnson, hrg...@gmail.com
I stand corrected. LOL

Simeon Vincent

Dec 15, 2021, 6:59:44 PM12/15/21
to Tyler Johnson, Chromium Extensions, hrg...@gmail.com
I can see the sunset page indicates manifest V2 extensions stop working in June 2023.
But it's unclear how this affects Chrome Apps, which must use a manifest version 2.

The Manifest V2 extension depreciation does not affect Chrome Apps. Apps and extensions are two separate features. I'm adding an item to my backlog now to update both the Manifest V2 support timeline and the apps manifest doc to make this more obvious.

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel

Rise Vision
Digital signage doesn’t have to be difficult. We make it easy or your money back.

Tyler Johnson

Dec 15, 2021, 7:54:57 PM12/15/21
to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, hrg...@gmail.com
Thank you for the confirmation.