Rejected for "Spam and Placement in the Store" on an already-approved extension. Help appreciated

Glen Allsopp

Jan 19, 2020, 12:41:30 PM1/19/20
to Chromium Extensions
Hi Simeon and everyone else.

My recently-approved extension is off to a great start with over 100 installations after a very soft launch.

I have tried to update the extension and make it a little faster - literally making an absolutely tiny change - and now the update is being rejected for "Spam and Placement in the Store".

Here were the specific warnings given, with my responses:

Do not post repetitive content.

 - We somehow had two versions of the app in the store (I don't know how since I never created a new listing), but this has been resolved before the rejection so I don't know what this can be.

Do not attempt to change the placement of any Product in the store, or manipulate any Product ratings or reviews, by unauthorized means, such as fraudulent installs, paid or fake reviews or ratings, or offering incentives to rate Products.

 - Definitely have not done this. We don't have a single review.

Do not post an app if the primary functionality is to link to a website not owned by the developer posting the app.

 - The primary function is to see the SEO-elements of a web page. Many extensions with tens of thousands of users to the same.

Do not post an app where the primary functionality is to install or launch another app, theme, or extension. For example, you cannot post an app if its primary function is to launch a desktop app that the user has already installed. Another example of a disallowed practice would be to post a packaged app that just launches a website.

 - Not us.

Your app must comply with Google's Webmaster Quality Guidelines.

 - I don't know what this could refer to but we're literally just highlighting SEO elements on a page.

**

ID: pfjdepjjfjjahkjfpkcgfmfhmnakjfba

Simeon, I am jealous of your forever-animated Twitter profile pic.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Simeon Vincent

Jan 23, 2020, 2:14:49 PM1/23/20
to Glen Allsopp, Chromium Extensions
It looks like you were able to publish a new version yesterday. I didn't understand the rejection and would have requested clarification, but I think that's a moot point now.

Cheers,

Simeon - @dotproto
Extensions Developer Advocate

Jackie Han

Jan 23, 2020, 2:25:08 PM1/23/20
to Simeon Vincent, Glen Allsopp, Chromium Extensions

"Spam and Placement in the Store"

  • Do not post repetitive content.
  • Do not attempt to change the placement of any Product in the store, or manipulate any Product ratings or reviews, by unauthorized means, such as fraudulent installs, paid or fake reviews or ratings, or offering incentives to rate Products.
  • Do not post an app if the primary functionality is to link to a website not owned by the developer posting the app.
  • Do not post an app where the primary functionality is to install or launch another app, theme, or extension. For example, you cannot post an app if its primary function is to launch a desktop app that the user has already installed. Another example of a disallowed practice would be to post a packaged app that just launches a website.
    Chrome Web Store has any policy updates ? Any further explanation ?

    --
    韩国恺(Jackie)

    Florian Krüsch

    Jan 23, 2020, 2:32:12 PM1/23/20
    to Jackie Han, Simeon Vincent, Glen Allsopp, Chromium Extensions

    Simeon Vincent

    Jan 23, 2020, 4:13:20 PM1/23/20
    to Florian Krüsch, Jackie Han, Glen Allsopp, Chromium Extensions
    Please share the IDs of your extensions. I can't look into a rejection without knowing what to look at ;)

    Simeon Vincent
    Extensions Developer Advocate

    Mark Dostie

    Jan 23, 2020, 4:15:07 PM1/23/20
    to chromium-...@chromium.org
    Same issue:
    ID: podoeeahljodkgpgmefdcmmpakfacald

    Marc Font

    Jan 23, 2020, 4:19:25 PM1/23/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Same issue at comeet.me:

    ID: djjdlpgfmfdkdcgldpcojgjhfmlddgdi

    Thanks in adavance

    On 2020-01-23 1:12 p.m., Simeon Vincent wrote:
    Please share the IDs of your extensions. I can't look into a rejection without knowing what to look at ;)

    Simeon Vincent
    Extensions Developer Advocate

    On Thu, Jan 23, 2020, 11:31 AM Florian Krüsch <in...@fk-ecommerce.com> wrote:
    Same here :-(

    Florian Krüsch

    Jan 23, 2020, 4:23:13 PM1/23/20
    to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
    ID: cbllkbfbefpfhkepcpegdhdpokghfcob

    Thanks!

    Jason Savard

    Jan 23, 2020, 5:50:07 PM1/23/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Same here ID: oeopbcgkkoapgobdbedcemjljbihmemj
    ps. I replied to the email but not response after several days now.

    Simeon Vincent

    Jan 23, 2020, 6:25:21 PM1/23/20
    to Jason Savard, Chromium Extensions
    Mark Dostie, It looks like the review team did not believe the current description to provide sufficient disclosure of the extensions' purpose and functionality. I'd recommend comparing your description against what publicly accessible extensions provide.

    Additionally, please note that value you provide in the description field of your manifest.json appears at the top of your web store listing in bold. At the moment your CWS description and manifest.json description are very similar. You can treat your manifest description as an intro and use the CWS description to jump straight into more detailed information.

    Marc Font, I think there may have been a misunderstanding. Please republish your extension.

    Florian Krüsch, please use this form to appeal your rejection.

    Jason Savard, I think there may have been a misunderstanding. Please republish your extension.

    Cheers,

    Simeon - @dotproto
    Extensions Developer Advocate

    Simeon Vincent

    Jan 23, 2020, 7:09:43 PM1/23/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Florian Krüsch, sorry, I misread that form. Please reply to the rejection email you received and request an appeal of the decision.

    Simeon - @dotproto
    Extensions Developer Advocate

    Alex Feinstein

    Jan 23, 2020, 7:19:54 PM1/23/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    I have the same issue with my extension JS Digger

    ID: ndindkkcbpmfoinihohmhdhphgpiofbb
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to chromium-extensions+unsub...@chromium.org.

    Simeon Vincent

    Jan 23, 2020, 7:41:22 PM1/23/20
    to Alex Feinstein, Chromium Extensions
    Alex, please reply to the rejection email you received and request an appeal of the decision.

    Simeon - @dotproto
    Extensions Developer Advocate

    Alex Feinstein

    Jan 23, 2020, 7:50:11 PM1/23/20
    to Chromium Extensions, feinste...@gmail.com
    I did, for both of the rejection emails I received. I got no response.

    Carmen Bowen

    Jan 23, 2020, 7:51:58 PM1/23/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Simeon,

    I have the same issue with the initial submission of my extension: jhbjljcleeiihkaglhmhbjcnofljiogj

    Sincerely,
    Carmen Bowen
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to chromium-extensions+unsub...@chromium.org.

    Simeon Vincent

    Jan 23, 2020, 7:52:35 PM1/23/20
    to Alex Feinstein, Chromium Extensions
    How long ago? I'm pretty sure there's a backlog for this type of rejection at the moment.

    Simeon - @dotproto
    Extensions Developer Advocate

    Alex Feinstein

    Jan 23, 2020, 7:55:43 PM1/23/20
    to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
    I replied to the first one last Monday. I replied to the second one today. I realized I only replied to you, so I resent this email.

    Simeon Vincent

    Jan 23, 2020, 7:57:26 PM1/23/20
    to Alex Feinstein, Chromium Extensions
    Thanks for doing that. Hm. A week is longer than I'd expect. I'll need to reach out to review to dig more into this.

    Simeon - @dotproto
    Extensions Developer Advocate

    Alex Feinstein

    Jan 23, 2020, 7:59:49 PM1/23/20
    to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
    Sounds good! Thank you for your help!

    One thing I suspected was that I was using both activeTab and <all_urls>. I fixed this and JS Digger is currently pending review.

    Simeon Vincent

    Jan 23, 2020, 8:02:29 PM1/23/20
    to Alex Feinstein, Chromium Extensions
    AFAIK activeTab & <all_urls> would be a minimum permissions violation, not a spam one. Still a concern and potential reason for rejection, but it's a separate issue.

    Alex, you mentioned two extensions but only provided one ID. Is there a second extension that also received a spam rejection?

    Simeon - @dotproto
    Extensions Developer Advocate

    Alex Feinstein

    Jan 23, 2020, 8:06:12 PM1/23/20
    to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
    No, it was the same extension twice.

    Jeff Johnson

    Jan 23, 2020, 9:32:03 PM1/23/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    My extension ID is gfdahjcdgfioalhekjflcpijhngbjgdo

    My extension has been on the store for more than a year, updated many times with no problem. On Sunday I submitted a minor bug fix update, and then yesterday I received an email "Chrome Web Store: Removal notification" with the generic "Spam and Placement in the Store" reason that everyone else has been getting. My update shows as rejected in the developer dashboard, but my current version is still in the store. None of the things listed in the email apply to my extension.

    It seems that Google must have a bug somewhere to be sending these "Spam and Placement in the Store" emails all of a sudden to so many extension developers. I see many threads about it here, and I've found more on Twitter. I can't be just a coincidence.

    Jackie Han

    Jan 24, 2020, 10:29:54 AM1/24/20
    to Simeon Vincent, Glen Allsopp, Chromium Extensions
    My extension has reinstated. Good luck to others.
    --
    韩国恺(Jackie)

    Vish Jiawon

    Jan 25, 2020, 9:23:30 AM1/25/20
    to Chromium Extensions, in...@fk-ecommerce.com, han.g...@gmail.com, gl...@detailed.com
    Hello Simeon,

    I've also experienced this. Extension id mecefkgphoclbiadaannooafhgnmmmhl. Our publish request included a 128x128 icon, two screenshots, 3 promotional tiles, and a link to our verified website. Our manifest and crx contain icons in sizes 16, 48, and 128. We have what we believe is a detailed description that we've based on top published apps in the store. It is not clear to me exactly what else should be added.

    Thanks,
    Vish

    On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 4:13:20 PM UTC-5, Simeon Vincent wrote:
    Please share the IDs of your extensions. I can't look into a rejection without knowing what to look at ;)

    Simeon Vincent
    Extensions Developer Advocate

    On Thu, Jan 23, 2020, 11:31 AM Florian Krüsch <in...@fk-ecommerce.com> wrote:
    Same here :-(

    韩国恺(Jackie)

    skun Siymly

    Jan 25, 2020, 10:54:39 AM1/25/20
    to Vish Jiawon, Chromium Extensions, in...@fk-ecommerce.com, han.g...@gmail.com, gl...@detailed.com

    ในวันที่ ส. 25 ม.ค. 2020 21:23 น. Vish Jiawon <vji...@gmail.com> เขียนว่า:
    Same here :-(

    韩国恺(Jackie)

    Fatty Noparents

    Jan 25, 2020, 12:31:40 PM1/25/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Same happened to my extension - ID gmbicfpadlmgkfhfepknbmemfhahelll

    It happens already second time in a row. I publish the extension back and they take it down without any explanation of what I have to do to get it back.
    I haven't even made any changes to the latest version, other than edited the CSS file of the extension.

    I get no reply from the support, though I am trying to contact them all these last days.
    I don't know what to do.

    wooshark dropshipping

    Jan 25, 2020, 2:38:39 PM1/25/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    the same thing happening to me to all my exensions, this is becoming really frustrating, after all this time of efforts to make the extensions stable, I am getting everything rejected without any explanation,  no one is taking the responsability to reply to our emails.my extensions are paid extensions and customer are sending emails again and again, I am getting bad feedbacks for something out of my control, if there is anyone who can clarify a bit this situation.
    I have tried everything, from remove all permissions to removing almost all the description, nothing has worked

    PoziWorld

    Jan 25, 2020, 3:56:07 PM1/25/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Hello Simeon,

    1) I have a public version of my extension – bdglbogiolkffcmojmmkipgnpkfipijm – which I use for stable builds.
    And I also have two unlisted versions of it – lbjkjmmcckjjijnnhdabbnkddgmpinhc and hfdnjjobhcbkciapachaegijeednggeh – which I use for more frequent updates, as alpha and beta versions respectively.

    When a stable version is ready, I release it for all three extensions, as I don't want the alpha and beta versions to be behind the stable one.

    The alpha and beta versions are primarily targeted for the translators of the extension, whom I communicate with via the translation portal (https://www.transifex.com/poziworld/pozitone/), so they can verify their translations embedded before the translations are made live to all users of the stable version.

    My last submission for hfdnjjobhcbkciapachaegijeednggeh was rejected. I understand it could be due to the fact it doesn't have a proper description, but that is on purpose: the current description specifically says the extension is not for the general public.

    Do you still want me to have a proper description? Or, is there another issue?

    ---

    2) I have another public extension – chinfkfmaefdlchhempbfgbdagheknoj – that also has a beta version created for the translators (https://www.transifex.com/poziworld/scroll-to-top-button/) – hbidmfhlfagmhnpoeipcanlcokbdmona.

    My last three submissions for hbidmfhlfagmhnpoeipcanlcokbdmona have been rejected.
    When I reply to the rejection email with “Can you specify the exact issue, please?”, I receive “Upon a subsequent review, we’ve reinstated your item and it is now available in the Chrome Web Store.”

    On another rejection, I ask again “Can you specify the exact issue you found, please?” and I get “Thank you for your item resubmission. Your item will be available in the Chrome Web Store within 30 minutes.”
    That reply was 4 days ago, but the extension is still marked as rejected on the developer dashboard.

    Could you please explain why my submissions get rejected in the first place and, after I ask for the reason, they get reinstated without any changes from me?
    Could you please look into why the last submission is still not available in the Chrome Web Store even though it should be?

    Thank you.

    Дмитрий Омельченко

    Jan 26, 2020, 9:57:53 AM1/26/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Same thing for me. Failure to publish extension updates due to spam ...
    ("Script Package", "kggpdmfnfmmkneemhknlojemcjmdlpjb")

    ManuTz SonG

    Jan 26, 2020, 10:53:19 AM1/26/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    happen to me too. this is my 3rd time going for 4th now.

    Yarden Naveh

    Jan 26, 2020, 4:25:28 PM1/26/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Happened to me too.
    My Chrome Extension has been live for over a year. I've been publishing updates on a weekly basis and haven't changed anything in the manifest.
    Suddenly, last week I got the following message:

    Your item did not comply with the following section of our Program Policies:

    "Spam and Placement in the Store"

    • Item has a blank description field, or missing icons or screenshots, and appears to be suspicious.

    I don't understand why. Now I made sure to add all required sizes of the icons and I have a description, but it is still rejected.
    I'd tried reaching out to the dev support, but all I get is the same automated message again.

    PLEASE HELP!

    Merijn de Jonge

    Jan 27, 2020, 2:32:55 AM1/27/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Same story for me. Previous versions were accepted (also a very recent one). Then after submitting a small bug fix Google rejects it because it suddenly things it is spam or so. I do have the icon,  description and screenshots as part of the submission, as well as all other required information. Also links to my company website and a YouTube movie explaining what the extension is about etc.  So, completely unclear why Google rejects it...

    Karl

    Jan 27, 2020, 4:44:57 AM1/27/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    I have the same problem. Just changed few lines in my description and removed two pictures, nothing more.
    I've been rejected five times since Wednesday last week, and each time I get the same computer-generated message (Your item did not comply with the following section of our Program Policies"Spam and Placement in the Store"). Even though I brought everything back to the old description.

    No answer to my 6 e-mails from google support. Tried support formular, even then no answer.

    My ID: ahfgcgcekjnnnacekibcangfooibmehc

    @Simeon: Hopefully you can help me or give me a hint. If I really need to change something I will do, but I really don't know what. The description is the same of the last 3 months and there have never been problems until now.

    Best regards

    Дмитрий Омельченко

    Jan 27, 2020, 7:04:49 AM1/27/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    In my case, changing the extension icon, updated the description in the manifest and updated the description on the publication page helped publish the update without problems after a failure.

    HeavenIdea Corporation

    Jan 27, 2020, 7:30:03 AM1/27/20
    to Chromium Extensions, omd...@gmail.com
    Hi Дмитрий,

    Was it paid extension of free one?

    Thank you in advance!

    Дмитрий Омельченко

    Jan 27, 2020, 8:58:48 AM1/27/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    This is a free extension available only through a direct link. Open to all countries.

    Jeff Johnson

    Jan 27, 2020, 9:49:06 AM1/27/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    On January 22 I received the "Spam and Placement in the Store", and I replied the same day. This morning I finally received a reply that said simply "To have your item reinstated, please re-publish it in your developer dashboard." So I went to the dashboard and published my update (with no changes from the previous draft), and it said that the update has been submitted for review, as usual for my updates. However, the Developer Dashboard is still showing "REJECTED" for my update instead of "Pending Review". Thus, I have no way of knowing whether my update is actually pending review, or whether it's been rejected again??

    This entire process is madness.

    FUT Trading 101

    Jan 28, 2020, 12:25:13 PM1/28/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Did you get it published at the end, Jeff or still rejected?

    Jeff Johnson

    Jan 28, 2020, 12:29:45 PM1/28/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    It's still rejected.

    I'm afraid to try again, because I've read that some developer accounts have been suspended altogether.

    FUT Trading 101

    Jan 28, 2020, 12:34:09 PM1/28/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    On the same boat here, wrongfully accused :(

    Fatty Noparents

    Jan 29, 2020, 1:02:00 AM1/29/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    I have received a letter from Google saying that my extension has been reinstated and will be available in the Store in 30 minutes.
    It was 10 hours ago, and the extension is still in the pending review status.
    This is ridiculous.

    Rashidul Hasan

    Jan 29, 2020, 2:50:19 AM1/29/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Same thing happeing to me too. I've been trying for last 1 month. This are things I'm using:
    extension name: Quickr
    decription: How it works:
    When you're browsing any of the supported news portals, when you hover over any of the title, a blue "QuickView" button will appear on the title. Click on it to read the details on a popup window. No need to open that link in a new tab!

    Anyone can guess anyhting wrong with these?

    Jeff Johnson

    Jan 29, 2020, 12:19:31 PM1/29/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Update: I just received another "Spam and Placement in the Store" email (which is again misleadingly titled "Chrome Web Store: Removal notification for StopTheMadness"). My extension is still in the store, but I assume this new email is rejecting the update that I published 2 days ago.

    I only re-published after Chrome Web Store Developer Support told me to re-publish. But they rejected it again, so what in the world am I supposed to do?!?!?!? I'm following Google's instructions and still getting rejected.

    Fatty Noparents

    Jan 29, 2020, 1:41:17 PM1/29/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Exactly same thing happened to me just now. The support wrote to me to publish my extension and immediately rejected it.
    This is madness.

    ManuTz SonG

    Jan 30, 2020, 2:08:00 AM1/30/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    not even 1 support email reply me back.

    ojdacaeifolmomdnjodfmojipkmkboii

    Alex Feinstein

    Jan 31, 2020, 1:00:53 AM1/31/20
    to Chromium Extensions, feinste...@gmail.com
    Hi Simeon,

    I have still not received an update about my extension JS Digger, and it is still pending review. Do you know how I can receive an update on the review? The extension ID is "ndindkkcbpmfoinihohmhdhphgpiofbb".

    Thank you!

    On Sunday, 19 January 2020 12:41:30 UTC-5, Glen Allsopp wrote:
[...]

    Dmitry Artamoshkin

    Jan 31, 2020, 11:12:12 AM1/31/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    I've received "Removal Notification" email a week ago. I replied to it.
    But I never got any response from the support team. And I'm afraid to try to re-publish reading about accounts suspension here. Please advise what to do.
    Extension id: ilpimgbmpmhfhdaaeepjokoigelkfbee

    Pierre-Olivier Jouanny

    Feb 27, 2020, 5:39:46 AM2/27/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Hi everyone,

    Same here, the new version my (free) extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/huntool/jmnpimlehkfmgpblfglpmgmpjofadadk (published with no problem since nearly 4 years, with one regular version and a limited beta version) has been blocked for spam for just some css changes and a minor fix. Since it's an unlisted extension (the link is only on our website after the signup), it's difficult to understand how we could spam the store : I have written back to support, I suspect an automatic rejection : @simeon : do you have any clues ?

    Thanks guys !
    Message has been deleted

    Patryk Rzucidło

    Pierre-Olivier Jouanny

    Feb 27, 2020, 9:47:33 AM2/27/20
    to Chromium Extensions
    Well, I have republished it with a description sligthly more explicit (but to be honest I really doubt it was the problem) and it's ok now in 30 min. I don't want to sound dramatic, but it feels weird to be rejected for the first time in nearly 4 years !

    Wish you all luck :)

    Simeon Vincent

    Simeon Vincent

      Simeon Vincent

      Simeon Vincent

      Feb 27, 2020, 12:42:12 PM2/27/20
      to PoziWorld, Chromium Extensions
      Looks like hfdnjjobhcbkciapachaegijeednggeh was rejected on Dec 25th because the review could not verify the functionality described in your listing. They specifically called out that the following features failed to load: track info notifications, controls outside of browser window, and list of recently played. I'd recommend resubmitting.

      I believe the email you received should have noted that, "Products must not contain false or misleading information, including in the content, title, icon, description, or screenshots." If you receive that again, please let me know, preferably via Twitter.

      On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 12:56 PM PoziWorld <poziwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

      Simeon Vincent

      Feb 27, 2020, 12:55:50 PM2/27/20
      to Дмитрий Омельченко, Chromium Extensions
      Glad you were able to get this sorted out. :)

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Simeon Vincent

      Simeon Vincent

      Simeon Vincent

      Simeon Vincent

      Feb 27, 2020, 1:06:25 PM2/27/20
      to Jeff Johnson, Chromium Extensions
      Apologies for the poor experience here. We've since returned to more of a normal staid with paid extensions. You should not experience auto-rejections any more, but yous submissions will still have to go through the normal review process.

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Simeon Vincent

      Feb 27, 2020, 1:08:40 PM2/27/20
      to Rashidul Hasan, Chromium Extensions
      Rashidul, please share the extension ID so I can look into it.

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Jake Marsh

      Mar 1, 2020, 5:22:36 PM3/1/20
      to Chromium Extensions
      Hey Simeon,

      Thanks for all your hard work in this thread, you're a machine!

      We are in a similar situation as others here, we've tried replying and resubmitting a bunch of times but keep getting the same canned response.

      We are trying to publish a new version of an extension that has not been updated in a little while, with critical bug fixes and some awesome new features.

      The rejections each mention that our description and screenshots need to describe and demonstrate the functionality of the extension.

      Our screenshots and description both definitely already do this and then some. Our 5 screenshots are all super clear and explanatory, with high production value. Our description goes into detail about all the features of our extension.

      So we're a bit stumped as to how to proceed, any guidance you could provide would be awesome, thanks for your time!

      Our extension ID is: megchchilhekbbnfcklodmndefbhkbco

      - Jake

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 1, 2020, 8:31:04 PM3/1/20
      to Rashidul Hasan, Chromium Extensions
      Rashidul, please share the ID of your extension.

      On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:50 PM Rashidul Hasan <rashi...@gmail.com> wrote:

      Rashidul Hasan

      Mar 2, 2020, 12:48:31 AM3/2/20
      to Chromium Extensions, rashi...@gmail.com
      Hi Simeon,
      Thank you so much for reaching out. my extensions ID: bfknhmcnpgdchnkmlljiomlbpikoioah
      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to chromium-extensions+unsub...@chromium.org.

      Anton Lang

      Mar 2, 2020, 1:20:09 AM3/2/20
      to Chromium Extensions
      Hey guys,

      just found out about this group even though I had a chrome extension running since 1,5 years. Keep up the great work everybody (especially Simeon)! Now to my situation:

      ID: ickcnpogpccagkhpcmibbkmdlnhiepda

      - I am getting declined since 3 weeks because of the same reason although fields are all set and not empty (to my understanding)
      - At the moment the status is: pending review

      The full version:

      1. I tried to release it via the old dashboard and was informed that I need to update the privacy settings in the new dashboard and perform the release via it. I did it and got rejected because of too many permissions I think, so I optimised our code + manifest and now I am using the minimum permissions available to us.

      2. Released it again with the updated code + manifest and now I received the message from the title: "Spam and Placement in the Store" with the following bullet point

      - Item has a blank description field, or missing icons or screenshots, and appears to be suspicious.

      So I had checked all the mentioned fields and nothing was empty until I changed the "Current editing language". Then I realised somehow the "Localized Screenshots" are empty for all the other locales.

      3. I decided to release again via the old dashboard (as the privacy descriptions were accepted) and now I received the error that too many images are uploaded because I had uploaded new screenshots via the new dashboard. So I removed the old ones and released again --> Chrome extension got declined and now the best part my current version and listing is broken because somehow the old images that were attached to the old listing are not showing up in the web store at all now.

      4. In the last attempt I manually added all screenshots to all locales (via the new dashboard) and updated the version number. Now It told me that the reviewing can take up weeks.

      I hope anybody can help me out in this situation or suggest what I can change in my process. I tried to contact the support but unfortunately they are not allowed to tell me any more information.

      Best regards,
      Anton

      Florian Krüsch

      Mar 2, 2020, 7:31:05 AM3/2/20
      to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
      Hi,
      I'm also stuck in review again (for two weeks now).
      Happened after uploading an update after my my account was reinstated on January 21st.

      The id is: cbllkbfbefpfhkepcpegdhdpokghfcob
      Had to fill out the privacy related fields this time and did so the best I could.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks
      Florian

      Jeff Johnson

      Mar 3, 2020, 8:25:08 AM3/3/20
      to Chromium Extensions, lapcats...@gmail.com
      Simeon,

      Thanks! Just to let you and everyone else know, I did submit a new update as suggested, and it was approved today and is now live in the Chrome Web Store.

      Jeff

      André Pedralho

      Mar 3, 2020, 9:33:20 AM3/3/20
      to Chromium Extensions
      Hi Simeon,

      I've just received an extension removal email due to store violations, one day after replying an update rejection email asking for clarification. The email says the screenshots and description violate Chrome Store policies because they do not demonstrate the functionality of the extension. But they do demonstrate.

      If we need to change description and screenshot, I kindly ask you to be more specific than the rejection and removal emails.

      Our extension id is: jdcfmebflppkljibgpdlboifpcaalolg

      Could you help us to put the extension back to the store?

      On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 5:13:20 PM UTC-4, Simeon Vincent wrote:
[...]

      Jesmine

      Mar 4, 2020, 4:11:17 AM3/4/20
      to Chromium Extensions
      Hi Simeon,

      Will really appreciate your help here too please!
      ID: djjjmdgomejlopjnccoejdhgjmiappap

      馮韋元Francois Devatine

      Mar 6, 2020, 5:02:50 AM3/6/20
      to Chromium Extensions
      I have experienced many rejections recently.
      In many cases, answering the rejection email with details + adding a lot of additional information in the Extended Description has helped.

      Suggestion: Why not give a mandatory minimum number of characters in the Extended Description? It seems like an easy implementation. If a developer is told that they must write an extensive, more than N characters (1000?) in order to publish the extension, I am sure there would be much less rejections due to the description being unclear.

      I mean, the manifest.json Description is limited to 132 characters, and Extended Description was not mandatory until like 2 years ago, so it was not obvious at first that descriptions had to be super extra detailed. But the message is passing slowly.

      Thanks Simeon for the assistance on this platform, as always!

      Patryk Rzucidło

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 9, 2020, 4:28:02 PM3/9/20
      to Rashidul Hasan, Chromium Extensions
      Looks like you got through on the 9th. The core problem was, to quote the policy language, "excessive keywords in item descriptions". As you eventually figured out, the problem is listing all the sites that you're compatible with in the description.

      In situations like this, I'd recommend moving the list to, say, an FAQ page on your website or listing sites in your promotional images. For example, rather than including something like this

      Supported sites

      * AAA
      * BBB
      * CCC
      * ZZZ

      Try replacing that section with a sentence like, "Supports <category> sites such as AAA, BBB, and many more! See https://example.com/faq for a full list."

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 9, 2020, 4:54:42 PM3/9/20
      to Anton Lang, Chromium Extensions
      Looks like you got approved on the 2nd. Still, I'm going to plumb a bit to shed some light on your situation.

      I did it and got rejected because of too many permissions I think

      Just to clarify, we don't reject for the number of permissions. We reject due to the permissions not being necessary. I do see a couple rejections in mid-February related to requesting permissions that weren't used in your extension, but you got that sorted.

      2. Released it again with the updated code + manifest and now I received the message from the title: "Spam and Placement in the Store" with the following bullet point … Then I realised somehow the "Localized Screenshots" are empty for all the other locales.

      Looks like the actual cause was that your icon was missing. While you did specify the 128 version of your icon in the manifest as expected, I believe CWS was expecting the other sizes. Once you added those, it appears you were able to pass review successfully.

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 9, 2020, 5:05:43 PM3/9/20
      to Chromium Extensions
      We just passed the three week anniversary of your submission! While that's bad, it does mean that it's officially long enough that I can reach out to other folks about the abnormally long review time. Filing a ticket with review now.

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 9, 2020, 9:07:05 PM3/9/20
      to André Pedralho, Chromium Extensions
      The removal email, or more specifically the use of the word "removal" in that email, appears to be a bug. The extension is still available and I don't see any evidence it was taken down. It does look like a draft was rejected, but nothing was removed. Apologies for the confusion.

      Okay, so what's actually going on? Two things. First, it looks like the extension's functionality could not be verified. The extension's browser action showed placeholder content on "supported" sites. Second, the extension is requesting permissions it does not need. Your current set is ["alarms", "tabs", "cookies", "activeTab", "<all_urls>"].

      <all_urls> is a very broad permission that grants access to almost everything Chrome can display (+ caveats I don
      t want to go into). Besites http://*/* and https://*/* resources, it also grants access to ftp://*/*, file://*/*, and other content you may not actually need. I'd recommend moving to a more restricted set of host permissions if you can (e.g. http://*/* and https://*/*). Additionally, if you don't need passive access to sites, then it's best to skip passive host permissions entirely.

      activeTab is only necessary if you don't already have host permissions for a page. <all_urls> completely subsumes this permission. If you don't need passive access as mentioned above, activeTab can be used to receive temporary host permissions on the current tab. But with your permissions as they're currently structured it's superflous.

      tabs is another case where <all_urls> (or other passive host permissions patterns) covers everything it does. This permission only grants you access to 4 properties on the tab object if you don't have host permissions for the tab's URL. Also note that since activeTab grants temporary host permissions, it can be used to get access to these 4 properties once the user invokes your extension on a given page.

      I'd recommend one of the follow paths.

      1. Move from <all_urls> to a more restricted (but still very broad) set of patterns and drop the unnecessary permissions. E.g. ["alarms", "cookies", "http://*/*", "https://*/*"].

      2. Move to a model where the user must invoke your extension. This will likely require some work. E.g. ["alarms", "tabs", "cookies", "activeTab"] or ["alarms", "cookies", "activeTab"].

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Same here :-(

      韩国恺(Jackie)

      ----
      NOTIFICAÇÃO DE CONFIDENCIALIDADE: O conteúdo deste e-mail e seus anexos são para uso exclusivo do destinatário e podem conter informações confidenciais e/ou privilegiadas do Méliuz, sendo legalmente protegidas de divulgação não autorizada. Caso tenha recebido o e-mail por engano, notifique o remetente e apague-o de imediato.

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 9, 2020, 9:21:48 PM3/9/20
      to Jesmine, Chromium Extensions
      Looks like you were able to publish successfully. The previous description contained a somewhat long list of the sites that the extension works on. Another reply I sent out earlier today covered a similar issue - I think the guidance I shared there also applies to this case.

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      ID: djjjmdgomejlopjnccoejdhgjmiappap
      Same here :-(

      韩国恺(Jackie)

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 9, 2020, 9:41:14 PM3/9/20
      to Patryk Rzucidło, Chromium Extensions, Glen Allsopp
      I'm not 100% on this, but I think this may be another case of overuse of keywords in the description. ATM you have a list that includes 8 websites you integrate with and an explicitly defined list of tags at the end of your description. Again, I'm going to point back to this reply for guidance.

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Rashidul Hasan

      Mar 11, 2020, 4:15:24 AM3/11/20
      to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
      Hey Simeon, thanks you so much for the help! It's finally published!
      Rashidul Hasan

      馮韋元Francois Devatine

      Mar 11, 2020, 4:47:42 AM3/11/20
      to Chromium Extensions, sim...@chromium.org
      One scenario that I encountered recently was:
      - Publishing version 1.0 > Accepted
      - [Implementing a critical update (let's say, bug fix or CCPA related changes, etc), with no change in permissions, features or UI]
      - Publishing version 1.1 > Rejected

      I believe not all reviews are equal. Maybe version 1.0 had an easy review, and 1.1 had a more strict review. But it can be very troublesome.
      Any thoughts on this? Maybe reviews should be done based on diffs with previous versions?
      Or if you reject version 1.1 in my example, shouldn't version 1.0 also be rejected in that case for consistency?

      // Francois
      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to chromium-extensions+unsub...@chromium.org.

      André Pedralho

      Mar 11, 2020, 9:58:15 AM3/11/20
      to Chromium Extensions, pedr...@meliuz.com.br
      Hi Simeon,

      I hope you are better!
      You saved the day with your recommendations. Thank you, a lot!

      I have a question/suggestion that could make your work easier and the publication process more clear to everyone: why the CWS reviewers do not send detailed information as you usually do? I mean, for us publishers, instead of receiving a canned email with a message informing we have violated the store policies, we could receive an email informing that we need to verify if we really need the permission <all_urls>.

      cheers,

      Andre Pedralho - @pedralho
      Same here :-(

      韩国恺(Jackie)

      ----
      NOTIFICAÇÃO DE CONFIDENCIALIDADE: O conteúdo deste e-mail e seus anexos são para uso exclusivo do destinatário e podem conter informações confidenciais e/ou privilegiadas do Méliuz, sendo legalmente protegidas de divulgação não autorizada. Caso tenha recebido o e-mail por engano, notifique o remetente e apague-o de imediato.

      Lucas Morais

      Mar 12, 2020, 1:44:21 PM3/12/20
      to Chromium Extensions
      Same issue:
      ID: kepdkncjngmjfljaichhkfnamabfmiji

      Martin Sonesson

      Mar 16, 2020, 7:52:25 AM3/16/20
      to Chromium Extensions
      Same issue here. Tried to update our extension with ID: cdblaggcibgbankgilackljdpdhhcine

      But it got rejected without any other explanation than

      "Item has a blank description field, or missing icons or screenshots, and appears to be suspicious."

      I have a description that is entered via the developer dashboard, and I have never changed this description. Nor have I changed any images or icons but it still got rejected.

      Patryk Rzucidło

      Mar 16, 2020, 8:43:32 AM3/16/20
      to Chromium Extensions, rashi...@gmail.com
      I tried this but it doesn't work! Spam rejection! It's a joke? mgpbkhkpghgmihmcfbndejmkaibbnljo
      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to chromium-extensions+unsub...@chromium.org.

      André Pedralho

      Mar 16, 2020, 11:29:58 AM3/16/20
      to Chromium Extensions, pedr...@meliuz.com.br
      Here we go again. We've changed the permissions to be more restricted, published the extension again, but got another rejection email with the following text:
      • Items should work and provide some functionality upon installation.
      • Items should provide the promised functionality that aligns with the description of the item.
      I have an hypothesis about what is going on. We have some rules in AWS to block access outside Brazil to our backend, and it might be resulting in a blank extension (non-functional extension) if the reviewer is in another country.

      Our extension was available to all the countries and it didn't make sense if it only work in Brazil. Then, we submitted it again, restricting availability to Brazil only. Simeon, is it enough?

      Our extension id is: jdcfmebflppkljibgpdlboifpcaalolg

      Same here :-(

      韩国恺(Jackie)

      ----
      NOTIFICAÇÃO DE CONFIDENCIALIDADE: O conteúdo deste e-mail e seus anexos são para uso exclusivo do destinatário e podem conter informações confidenciais e/ou privilegiadas do Méliuz, sendo legalmente protegidas de divulgação não autorizada. Caso tenha recebido o e-mail por engano, notifique o remetente e apague-o de imediato.

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 16, 2020, 7:39:10 PM3/16/20
      to Patryk Rzucidło, Chromium Extensions, Rashidul Hasan
      Patryk,

      To be honest I don't understand why you're getting flagged for spam now. I'm opening an issue with the review team to discuss.

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 16, 2020, 8:02:01 PM3/16/20

      That does sound like the likely reason why neither I nor the reviewer could get the extension to work. Here's what I see: https://imgur.com/a/AnnvoKq

      Our extension was available to all the countries and it didn't make sense if it only work in Brazil. Then, we submitted it again, restricting availability to Brazil only. Simeon, is it enough?

      No, I don't expect that will be sufficient for two reasons. First, as we've already seen a reviewer outside of Brazil could not verify the extension's functionality; restricting distribution regions in CWS does not address that problem. I expect that reviewers outside Brazil will continue to reject it for not functioning as expected. Second, people travel the globe. Let's say my friend in Brazil has your extension installed and decides then comes to visit me in the US. Chances are they would probably be surprised and unhappy that the extension suddenly stopped working (and didn't say why) while they were abroad.

      If you do want to restrict access inside Brazil, you should add messaging to the extension to clearly communicate to the user that they must be in Brazil in order for it to work. I don't know if that would be enough to pass review, but it would at least be a better experience for end users.

[...]

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 16, 2020, 8:05:55 PM3/16/20
      to Martin Sonesson, Chromium Extensions
      Martin,

      Something about icon handling is different today than it was a year ago, but I'm not clear on what. In any case, I believe you'll need to add a 128x128 icon to your manifest JSON's "icons" object and to your zip.

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 16, 2020, 8:13:05 PM3/16/20
      to Lucas Morais, Chromium Extensions
      Lucas,

      It looks like you were able to publish. The rejection was due to an insufficient description. It looks like subsequent uploads have rounded out the description, so you should be good to go.

      In general CWS expects that the description will explain the extension's purpose and describe the features it provides. To put it another way, the description should enable the end user to make an informed decision about whether or not to install the extension and what to expect if they do so. We can probably improve the UI/docs to make that more clear.

      On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 10:44 AM Lucas Morais <luca...@gmail.com> wrote:
      Same issue:
      ID: kepdkncjngmjfljaichhkfnamabfmiji

      Saurabh Guru

      Mar 17, 2020, 6:31:56 AM3/17/20
      to Chromium Extensions, luca...@gmail.com
      Hi Simeon,

      We have an extension: gddphiefdbgmgknfchomnkpkckoinmdp and a couple of others which are being rejected now for the following reasons:

      • Items should work and provide some functionality upon installation.
      • Items should provide the promised functionality that aligns with the description of the item.
      Our extensions have been working for years and are destined only for users on the applications it was built for. Can you please help us find out why these are being rejected?

      Thanks,
      Saurabh

      On Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 5:43:05 AM UTC+5:30, Simeon Vincent wrote:
      Lucas,

      It looks like you were able to publish. The rejection was due to an insufficient description. It looks like subsequent uploads have rounded out the description, so you should be good to go.

      In general CWS expects that the description will explain the extension's purpose and describe the features it provides. To put it another way, the description should enable the end user to make an informed decision about whether or not to install the extension and what to expect if they do so. We can probably improve the UI/docs to make that more clear.

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 10:44 AM Lucas Morais <luca...@gmail.com> wrote:
      Same issue:
      ID: kepdkncjngmjfljaichhkfnamabfmiji

      Vladislav Ivanov

      Mar 17, 2020, 7:32:35 AM3/17/20
      to Chromium Extensions, luca...@gmail.com
      Hi Simeon.

      I have an extension jokfdgpokjchafjcplckdfifmemdhcag. I`m trying to upload a new version of this extension but I received rejection per each try with following reason - "Spam and Placement in the Store" Item has a blank description field, or missing icons or screenshots, and appears to be suspicious.
      I`ve tried to change description in a different ways, checked screenshots, icons and manifest - everything seems to be fine for me. So, I can`t understand the root cause of rejections and I`m not able to fix my mistakes. Also I`ve tried to send an answer to an email with rejection notification - but nothing happened. After that I`ve created a question via developer support - and didn`t receive anything in answer. Could you please help me find out why these updates were rejected?

      Thanks,
      Vladislav.

      On Tuesday, 17 March 2020 03:13:05 UTC+3, Simeon Vincent wrote:
      Lucas,

      It looks like you were able to publish. The rejection was due to an insufficient description. It looks like subsequent uploads have rounded out the description, so you should be good to go.

      In general CWS expects that the description will explain the extension's purpose and describe the features it provides. To put it another way, the description should enable the end user to make an informed decision about whether or not to install the extension and what to expect if they do so. We can probably improve the UI/docs to make that more clear.

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 10:44 AM Lucas Morais <luca...@gmail.com> wrote:
      Same issue:
      ID: kepdkncjngmjfljaichhkfnamabfmiji

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 17, 2020, 12:05:03 PM3/17/20
      to Saurabh Guru, Chromium Extensions, Lucas Morais
      Saurabh,

      Your package is invalid due to having a malformed content scripts match pattern: "*://https://app.example.com//*" (edited to remove the actual domain). It almost looks like a URL was inserted inside a match pattern.

      On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 3:32 AM 'Saurabh Guru' via Chromium Extensions <chromium-...@chromium.org> wrote:
[...]

      This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.  The opinion expressed in this mail is that of the sender and do not necessarily reflect that of Quicko Technosoft Labs Private Limited. Thank you for your co-operation.

      Saurabh Guru

      Mar 17, 2020, 12:23:40 PM3/17/20
      to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, Lucas Morais
      Thanks Simeon. Appreciate the quick response! I didn't get a manifest error on upload and messaging in the review email didn't seem right.

      Would you mind checking a couple of others below as well that is rejected with the same Spam message?
      hlaibpjkfjlakofcpiaoilkedpjjlgnb
      ikcllonjcigciijbbadhddgicmbjbohj

      Thanks,
      Saurabh

      --

      Associate Director, Solutions

         +91 9623625650

      Still using verbose help? Switch to Whatfix interactive flows.

      111 W. St. John Street, Suite 220, San Jose, California 95113

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 17, 2020, 12:28:51 PM3/17/20
      to Vladislav Ivanov, Chromium Extensions, Lucas Morais
      Vadislav,

      It looks like your draft is missing an icon, which is odd because I see that you have the image asset in your package and you reference it in your "icons" object in manifest.json. The only thing that comes to mind is that you're prefixing your image paths with "./", which should be valid. Other than that, I'm not sure what could be going wrong here, so I'm opening a bug with the CWS engineering team to investigate.

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Nico S

      Mar 17, 2020, 12:41:58 PM3/17/20
      to Chromium Extensions, rya...@gmail.com, luca...@gmail.com
      Hello Simeon

      Can you spend us some time and have a look on our issue:

      Thanks

      Simeon Vincent

      Mar 17, 2020, 12:51:26 PM3/17/20
      to Saurabh Guru, Chromium Extensions, Lucas Morais
      Saurabh,

      hlaibpjkfjlakofcpiaoilkedpjjlgnb - Another bad matches pattern. The last pattern is "*://foo.example.com*" (domain changed) which is missing a slash between com and *.

      ikcllonjcigciijbbadhddgicmbjbohj - Approved earlier today, I don't see any history of rejections.

      Cheers,

      Simeon - @dotproto
      Extensions Developer Advocate

      Saurabh Guru

      Mar 17, 2020, 12:55:45 PM3/17/20
      to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, Lucas Morais
      Thanks Simeon.

      Nico S

      Mar 17, 2020, 1:00:10 PM3/17/20
      to Chromium Extensions, sim...@chromium.org
      Hello Simeon

      Can you spend us some time and have a look on our issue (just noted you probably only recieve this message if you are added into the Cc (I am new to google groups conversations)):

      Thanks

      Peter Yeaney

      Mar 17, 2020, 1:37:50 PM3/17/20
      to Chromium Extensions
      Hello all and Simeon,

      We are having the same issue trying to understand why we are getting rejected for missing icons/descriptions, and we look suspicious. A detailed post is located here: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/chromium-extensions/jIUgYazXbY4

      Thank you all!

      Vladislav Ivanov

      Mar 18, 2020, 9:33:45 AM3/18/20
      to Chromium Extensions, rya...@gmail.com, luca...@gmail.com
      Simeon,

      Thank you for your help! Today I`ve moved icons to the root and tried to upload with a new path and it has been approved. Many thanks!

      Thanks,
      Vladislav.

      On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 4:32 AM Vladislav Ivanov <rya...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

      AM

      Mar 18, 2020, 1:20:42 PM3/18/20
      to Chromium Extensions, rya...@gmail.com, luca...@gmail.com
      Hi Simeon,

      I'm assuming we're having the same icon issue as others, because when I submit the extension the icon isn't showing and we've also been getting Spam rejections.

      Extension ID cphickadnfhhchpejpdjaloeeegpegoi

      Thanks for your help!

      On Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 9:28:51 AM UTC-7, Simeon Vincent wrote:
[...]

      It is loading more messages.