Changing Chromium default Git branch

Josip Sokcevic

Sep 3, 2020, 4:00:09 PM9/3/20
to Chromium-dev, chops-source-team

Chromium uses Git's default branch name which is currently master. In order to align with Inclusive Chromium Code, we are changing default branch name from master to main for all non-forked non-mirrored repositories in chromium.googlesource.com.

We will be doing the migration in stages, beginning in September, starting with a small repository, followed by infra/infra superrepo. Then, we will move forward with renaming chromium/src repository which is expected to happen sometime between October and November. We will share more details as we approach it, with at least 4 weeks of notice. The rest of the repositories will be migrated in batches.

Note that this migration should be transparent and users should not need to run any manual Git command to update their workspace if they use depot_tools.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know by replying to this thread or emailing us at chops-so...@google.com.

Josip, Chops Source team

Stefan Zager

Sep 3, 2020, 7:13:24 PM9/3/20
to sokc...@google.com, chops-source-team, Chromium-dev
Just want to point out that the schedule for migrating the main chromium repo is quite close to the usual holiday code freeze. If the project slips at all, it might be prudent to postpone that part until 2021.

Ian Barkley-Yeung

Sep 3, 2020, 9:51:33 PM9/3/20
to Chromium-dev, chops-so...@google.com
Right now, there are various comments in the code like:
// See https://chromium.googlesource.com/infra/luci/luci-go/+/master/buildbucket/proto/common.proto
Will those URLs redirect to +/main?

Mike Frysinger

Sep 5, 2020, 11:44:01 AM9/5/20
to Ian Barkley-Yeung, Chromium-dev, chops-source-team
in CrOS code, i've been having people use HEAD, and migrating comments in the process.  that will resolve to the right branch regardless of its name.
-mike

Andy Perelson

Sep 13, 2020, 8:07:19 PM9/13/20
to Ian Barkley-Yeung, Chromium-dev, chops-source-team
That URL is for Gitiles, and yes we plan to make sure both those and saved Code Search URLs will continue to work and redirect appropriately.

Andy
--
I support flexible work schedules, and I’m sending this email now because it is within the hours I’m working today.  Please do not feel obliged to reply straight away - I understand that you will reply during the hours you work, which may not match mine.