Window occlusion and performance throttling feature status

Chris Davis (EDGE)

May 13, 2020, 11:09:52 PM5/13/20
to Chromium-dev

What is the status of the throttle on occlusion feature? I know there were issues when this was first enabled in Stable in November – have those been addressed?  I’m really looking forward to the perf wins here for battery life.

Calculate window occlusion on Windows

Calculate window occlusion on Windows will be used in the future to throttle and potentially unload foreground tabs in occluded windows – Windows

#calculate-native-win-occlusion

Enable occlusion of web contents

If enabled, web contents will behave as hidden when it is occluded by other windows. – Mac, Windows

#web-contents-occlusion

David Bienvenu

May 14, 2020, 10:15:13 AM5/14/20
to chrd...@microsoft.com, Chromium-dev
Hi Chris,
  Yes, the Remote Desktop issue was fixed in December, and we're planning on re-launching in m85.

  Note that web-contents-occlusion is on by default in the code. calculate-native-win-occlusion is what we're planning on launching.

- David

Chris Hamilton

May 14, 2020, 12:55:55 PM5/14/20
to davidb...@chromium.org, Chris Davis (EDGE), Chromium-dev
As a small follow-up here: we prototyped "frame" level occlusion, which would track partial occlusion of windows resulting in full iframe occlusion, and disable painting/layout for those iframes independently. We expect to see another small bump in the gains here, but we'll first build metrics to track how often this occurs.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Davis (EDGE)

May 14, 2020, 6:27:36 PM5/14/20