Debugging chromium with macos

random_comet10

Sep 23, 2019, 8:33:10 PM9/23/19
to Chromium-dev
I use ninja to build chromium and I followed the instructions here to debug using xcode on MacOS :

I generated an all.xcworkspace file which I used to attach the debugger to the currently running chromium instance.
But I am unable to trigger any breakpoints unless it crashes.
Is there anything specific I need to do in xcode apart from the given instructions ?

random_comet10

Oct 8, 2019, 11:05:25 AM10/8/19
to Chromium-dev
I am using Xcode 10.1, just tried a fresh build and still no luck. I am able to print the log statements on command line to see if the methods are being called, so wondering why the break points still don't work

Nico Weber

Oct 8, 2019, 1:58:42 PM10/8/19
to nsaba...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev

random_comet10

Nov 1, 2019, 1:34:00 PM11/1/19
to Chromium-dev, nsaba...@gmail.com
Hi I added this to my ~/.lldbinit file :

command script import /Users/user/chromium/src/tools/lldb/lldbinit.py

I am still not able to catch the breakpoints.

On Monday, 23 September 2019 20:33:10 UTC-4, random_comet10 wrote:
I use ninja to build chromium and I followed the instructions here to debug using xcode on MacOS :

I generated an all.xcworkspace file which I used to attach the debugger to the currently running chromium instance.
But I am unable to trigger any breakpoints unless it crashes.
Is there anything specific I need to do in xcode apart from the given instructions ?

Claudio deSouza

Nov 3, 2019, 8:24:21 PM11/3/19
to Chromium-dev, nsaba...@gmail.com
Hi,

You need to provide strip_absolute_paths_from_debug_symbols as a gn argument (e.g. gn gen out/Default --args="strip_absolute_paths_from_debug_symbols=false").

I've hit the same problem recently and spent a few days getting frustrated with it and going back and forth between xcode versions.

Cheers,
Claudio.

Nico Weber

Nov 4, 2019, 7:53:44 AM11/4/19
to Claudio M. D. Souza Junior, Chromium-dev, nsaba...@gmail.com
This is a bug in Xcode10.1, it's fixed in 10.3: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1011965

Claudio (and others): Before spending a few days on something, please ask for help earlier :( Sorry this caused you this much trouble.

erikchen: I wonder if we should remove the strip_absolute_paths_from_debug_symbols toggle. It seems to lead to people turning it off (and breaking the efficiency of their goma cache) when Xcode misbehaves.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/b29d492b-8936-4d9f-a05c-de0ee23be0a8%40chromium.org.

Claudio deSouza

Nov 4, 2019, 8:00:31 AM11/4/19
to Chromium-dev, claudi...@gmail.com, nsaba...@gmail.com
Hi Nico,

Yeah, I had multiple discussions about this on the Chromium slack, but I suspect this is an issue that is only affecting non-googlers, because everyone I talked to who were working on MacOS didn't seem to be coming across this problem. Thanks though for the incentive to reach out for help.

Cheers.
Claudio

Erik Chen

Nov 4, 2019, 1:04:33 PM11/4/19
to Chromium-dev, claudi...@gmail.com, nsaba...@gmail.com
erikchen: I wonder if we should remove the strip_absolute_paths_from_debug_symbols toggle. It seems to lead to people turning it off (and breaking the efficiency of their goma cache) when Xcode misbehaves.
As in, keep the functionality but remove the toggle to allow turning it off? Seems like a useful, but dangerous escape hatch.

Nico Weber

Nov 4, 2019, 3:04:59 PM11/4/19
to Erik Chen, Chromium-dev, Claudio M. D. Souza Junior, nsaba...@gmail.com
On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 1:04 PM Erik Chen <erik...@chromium.org> wrote:
erikchen: I wonder if we should remove the strip_absolute_paths_from_debug_symbols toggle. It seems to lead to people turning it off (and breaking the efficiency of their goma cache) when Xcode misbehaves.
As in, keep the functionality but remove the toggle to allow turning it off? Seems like a useful, but dangerous escape hatch.

Yes, make it a variable (with a comment saying "if you think you need to set this, file a bug instead") instead of a declare_args on the platforms where it defaults to true.

Alexey Kozyatinskiy

Jan 10, 2022, 7:28:16 PM1/10/22
to Chromium-dev, Nico Weber, Chromium-dev, Claudio deSouza, random_comet10, erik...@chromium.org
Hello Nico and Erik!

Is there any chance that we can declare_args strip_absolute_paths_from_debug_symbols in case when custom_toolchain is set?
We are building V8 locally using our own toolchain and our compiler does not support file-compilation-dir flag. We are not using goma and I believe there is no chance that we can utilize use given that I am not a Googler and that we are using custom toolchain.

Thank you,
Aleksei.