Looking for issues

Ida Delphine

Jan 18, 2023, 9:43:42 PM1/18/23
to Chromium-dev
Hello all,

I'm Ida from Cameroon and I'm very interested in contributing to chromium. I already followed the steps to download and build the codebase (https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/linux/build_instructions.md#notes)

I'm a bit overwhelmed and do not know what issue(s) to start with. My primary operating system is Ubuntu and I have knowledge in Python, JavaScript, Go and Rust (started learning this recently).

I would really love some help with any recommendations of good newcomer issues that relate to my current skills as well as resources I should checkout as a newcomer (in case I missed any)

Cheers,
Ida

K. Moon

Jan 19, 2023, 2:42:25 PM1/19/23
to ida...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/ has some tips.

In particular, you might try looking for a GoodFirstBug to work on:

Yoav Weiss

Jan 20, 2023, 12:48:52 AM1/20/23
to km...@chromium.org, ida...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Hey Ida,

Long ago I co-curated a list of good first bugs, some of which are still relevant.
I'm happy to chat about this, and guide you through getting started on one of them.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 6:43 PM Ida Delphine <ida...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm Ida from Cameroon and I'm very interested in contributing to chromium. I already followed the steps to download and build the codebase (https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/linux/build_instructions.md#notes)

I'm a bit overwhelmed and do not know what issue(s) to start with. My primary operating system is Ubuntu and I have knowledge in Python, JavaScript, Go and Rust (started learning this recently).

Most of Chromium's code is in C++, with a lot of the tests written in Javascript (and some Python).
You can probably start focusing on the tests in the issue list above and then slowly make the switch to C++, to be able to tackle more areas.

I would really love some help with any recommendations of good newcomer issues that relate to my current skills as well as resources I should checkout as a newcomer (in case I missed any)

Cheers,
Ida

Ian Wells

Jan 20, 2023, 5:11:02 PM1/20/23
to Chromium-dev, ida...@gmail.com
Hi Ida,

Is there a particular area that interests you, or a particular kind of problem that you have encountered that you would like to fix? crbug.com has a vast number of available issues so it could be helpful to choose a specific feature or kind of problem (e.g. crashing) and search for open issues related to that.

Ian

Yoav Weiss

Jan 25, 2023, 3:02:33 AM1/25/23
to Rohith Raju, Chromium-dev

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 8:56 AM Rohith Raju <rohith...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Yoav, I took a look at your list. I would also like to get started by testing as you said. The CSS test cases look interesting. I've already set up my dev env. How do I proceed?

Hey Rohith! Feel free to tag me on a specific issue that you're interested in tackling and I can provide more guidance there.

Rohith Raju

Jan 25, 2023, 12:26:11 PM1/25/23
to Chromium-dev, yoav...@chromium.org
Hey Yoav, I took a look at your list. I would also like to get started by testing as you said. The CSS test cases look interesting. I've already set up my dev env. How do I proceed?

Yoav Weiss

Jan 26, 2023, 4:13:55 AM1/26/23
to Rohith Raju, Chromium-dev
Hey Rohith,

Apologies but I'm not familiar with the iOS side of things, so not sure I can help you with that.
I'm more likely to be able to help with anything in this doc.

Cheers :)
Yoav

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 9:49 AM Rohith Raju <rohith...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Yoav, I want to work on this:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1404974&q=Hotlist%3DGoodFirstBug

Rohith Raju

Jan 26, 2023, 6:02:55 PM1/26/23
to Chromium-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, Rohith Raju

Yoav Weiss

Feb 2, 2023, 7:52:47 AM2/2/23
to Márcio, Chromium-dev
Hey Márcio!

I believe you need bug edit rights to assign issues, so I assigned it to you. Happy to help thinking through designs if needed.

Cheers :)
Yoav

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 1:38 PM Márcio <mssc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Yoav,

First time trying to contribute to Chromium.

I've built the project and played around in the last weeks. Read lots of documentations from chromium developers page (specially the 'Start here' section), signed CLA, created account in Gerrit.
Now I feel I should be trying one of the 'good first issues'.

I found your reply in this thread and took a look at the list you shared. This seemed to me a good one to get started: Issue 1053973: XMLHttpRequest does not default to text/xml if resposne Content-Type fails to parse

The status is 'Available'. But I'm not sure if I should assign the issue to me. Mainly because I didn't find a way to assign it 😅.
Am I able to assign it to me myself? If not, is it because someone from the project needs to assign it for me? Or maybe should I open the CL and only then link the issue?

In any case, I'll start familiarizing myself with the issue and try to fix it.

Thanks for the issues list!

Best regards,
Márcio Carôso

Márcio