Increasing canary release branch frequency

Alex Mineer

Aug 4, 2021, 6:53:06 PM8/4/21
to bran...@chromium.org, embedd...@chromium.org
Hello all,

The Chrome team is evaluating a plan to begin cutting multiple canary release branches per day in the near future. While this will lead to higher branch numbers in our VERSION file and a larger difference between milestone branch numbers, we don't expect this to have any functional impact on embedders; please let us know if there's something we've missed that we should take into account.

Assuming no feedback, we'll update this thread if the plan is approved with an ETA on when the change will occur.

Cheers,
Alex

Scott Whalley

Aug 5, 2021, 7:27:39 PM8/5/21
to branches, Alex Mineer, embedd...@chromium.org
Hi Alex,

Do you anticipate this resulting in more frequent Canary updates (> 1/day) or just more .0 builds that are daily Canary candidates?

Thanks,
Scott Whalley
Microsoft Edge RM Lead

Alex Mineer

Aug 5, 2021, 7:31:43 PM8/5/21
to Scott Whalley, embedd...@chromium.org
Definitely the latter, and possibly the former as well.

Alex Mineer

Nov 3, 2021, 5:15:07 PM11/3/21
to Scott Whalley, embedd...@chromium.org
Hi all,

We're planning to move forward with this change and will begin cutting two canary release branches per day starting next Wednesday, Nov 10; the Chrome team is planning to build and ship canaries from each branch as well. Please let us know ASAP if you have any final questions or concerns here.

Cheers,
Alex