Extended Stable

Scott Whalley

Mar 4, 2021, 8:34:05 PM3/4/21
to bran...@chromium.org

Hi,

Exciting news on the faster release cycle and Extended Stable.  In the documentation Extended Stable is referred to as a new “channel”.  Does this mean it will be able to be installed side-by-side with Stable (like Beta, etc.)?

Thanks,

Scott Whalley

Lead Release Manager, Microsoft Edge

Alex Mineer

Mar 4, 2021, 9:00:15 PM3/4/21
to Scott Whalley, bran...@chromium.org
Thanks for reaching out!  At this time, we don't plan to allow side-by-side installs for Extended Stable builds.

Cheers,
Alex

Scott Whalley

Mar 5, 2021, 2:33:13 PM3/5/21
to ami...@google.com, bran...@chromium.org

Thanks.  That makes sense.  Do you know if it will be delivered via a different installer from Stable or purely a policy/setting on the existing Stable install?

Thanks,

Scott

Alex Mineer

Mar 5, 2021, 4:39:56 PM3/5/21
to Scott Whalley, bran...@chromium.org
Actually, my apologies - I may have spoken too soon, as there are still one or two pending discussions on our end re: SxS as well as installation.  I'll get back to you when I have more to share, likely mid to late next week.

In the meantime, enjoy your weekend.

Cheers,
Alex

Alex Mineer

Mar 11, 2021, 4:31:22 PM3/11/21
to Scott Whalley, bran...@chromium.org
Hi Scott,

We're still discussing various aspects of this on our end, and things are subject to change until our first release in M94, but we've started to land code that you can follow along with here; that, coupled with the branch being maintained for an additional four weeks, is hopefully sufficient for you to be able to choose how you would like to bundle and deploy your application to your users.  If not, let me know.

Cheers,
Alex