Intent to Ship: 'disclosure-open' and 'disclosure-closed' keywords for CSS list-style-type property

TAMURA, Kent

Nov 30, 2020, 11:34:57 PM11/30/20
to blink-dev

Contact emails

tk...@chromium.org

Explainer

<ul>
  <li style="list-style-type: disclosure-open">First
  <li style="list-style-type: disclosure-closed">Second
</ul>

will show something like:

  ▼First
  ▶Second

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-counter-styles-3/#simple-symbolic

API spec

Yes

Summary

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Search tags

css

TAG review

None; The feature is already in a CSS specification, and another browser already shipped it.

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Interoperability risk is low. Firefox already shipped this. Compatibility risk is low. This adds new keywords to an existing CSS property.

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/list-style-type#Browser_compatibility)

WebKit: No signal (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-September/031397.html) No response to the position query

Web developers: No signals

No.
It's unable to test the rendering result of 'disclosure-open' and 'disclosure-closed' in WPT. We can test if they are recognized or not.

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=590014

https://chromestatus.com/feature/6561346332131328

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Chris Harrelson

Dec 1, 2020, 12:07:11 AM12/1/20
to TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
LGTM1

Please file a bug, if you have not already, so the ecosystem infra team knows about this hole in testing.

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=590014

https://chromestatus.com/feature/6561346332131328

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Mike West

Dec 1, 2020, 2:18:24 AM12/1/20
to blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, blink-dev, Kent Tamura
LGTM2.

Jochen Eisinger

Dec 1, 2020, 2:22:23 AM12/1/20
to Mike West, blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, Kent Tamura

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Dec 1, 2020, 6:39:29 AM12/1/20
to TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
This LGTM too (despite is not needed as you already got 3).

On 01/12/2020 05:34, TAMURA, Kent wrote:

> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?
>
> No.
> It's unable to test the rendering result of 'disclosure-open' and
> 'disclosure-closed' in WPT. We can test if they are recognized or not.

Yeah, please add tests for checking the parsing.

I'm also wondering if we couldn't do a ref test comparing things like
vs
<details></details>

If we cannot test something like this in WPT, at least we should report
an issue at https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/issues, so maybe
that's solved and we could have some tests in the future.

Bye,
Rego