Intent to Experiment: Declarative Shadow DOM

Mason Freed

Jul 8, 2020, 7:23:14 PM7/8/20
to blink-dev
mason...@chromium.org https://github.com/mfreed7/declarative-shadow-dom/blob/master/README.md https://github.com/mfreed7/declarative-shadow-dom/blob/master/README.md
https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/5465 https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/494 A declarative API to allow the creation of #shadowroot's using only HTML and no Javascript. Since this is a parser-only feature, parsed DOM content will contain only "normal" #shadowroot nodes. Devtools already fully supports Shadow DOM, and all of those existing tools will continue to apply to this new method of declaratively creating Shadow DOM. Yes Yes: https://wpt.fyi/results/shadow-dom/declarative?label=master&label=experimental&aligned&q=declarative https://chromestatus.com/feature/5191745052606464
This intent message was generated (mostly) by Chrome Platform Status.

Mason Freed

Jul 8, 2020, 7:40:23 PM7/8/20
to blink-dev, Mason Freed
...chromestatus seems to have left off the requested Origin Trial Experiment Timeline, which should be: M85-M87.

Thanks,
Mason

Alex Russell

Jul 9, 2020, 3:24:52 PM7/9/20
to blink-dev, Mason Freed
Super excited to see this moving forward. LGTM!

Hayato Ito

Jul 9, 2020, 10:50:49 PM7/9/20
to Alex Russell, blink-dev, Mason Freed
Sounds great to me! Thank you for moving this forward!

Hayato

Yoav Weiss

Jul 10, 2020, 2:22:55 AM7/10/20
to Hayato Ito, Alex Russell, blink-dev, Mason Freed
Unnecessary LGTM2!

Do you have partners lined up to experiment with the API? Did you already gather developer feedback from playing around with it behind a flag?

Mason Freed

Jul 10, 2020, 3:36:14 PM7/10/20
to Yoav Weiss, Hayato Ito, Alex Russell, blink-dev
Thanks everyone. Yoav, I do have two partners roughly lined up to experiment. And I have spoken to at least one developer who has tested out the feature using the flag. No red flags yet. I could always use more feedback!

Thanks,
Mason

Yoav Weiss

Jul 10, 2020, 3:54:25 PM7/10/20
to Mason Freed, Hayato Ito, Alex Russell, blink-dev
Great to hear, thanks!!