Intent to Ship: Web Share Target Level 2

Glenn Hartmann

Mar 29, 2019, 11:02:59 AM3/29/19
to chromi...@chromium.org, blin...@chromium.org, ericwi...@chromium.org, mgi...@chromium.org, benw...@chromium.org, Yaron Friedman
ericwi...@chromium.org,mgi...@chromium.org,benw...@chromium.org,yfri...@chromium.org,hart...@chromium.org https://github.com/WICG/web-share-target/blob/master/docs/explainer.md https://wicg.github.io/web-share-target/level-2/ Installed web applications can now receive file shares, e.g. images. Using the manifest, the web application can declare which MIME types and/or file extensions it accepts. Previously, mobile platforms allowed files to be shared to native applications, but not web applications. https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/blink-dev/AiKgWvv3cq0/xAsjfSfMDQAJ
No signal from Safari. Firefox: Public support (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/27) Edge: No public signals Safari: No public signals Web developers: Positive
No No https://wpt.fyi/results/web-share?label=master&product=chrome%5Bexperimental%5D&product=edge&product=firefox%5Bexperimental%5D&product=safari%5Bexperimental%5D&aligned https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=885313 https://www.chromestatus.com/features/6124071381106688

rek...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2019, 11:44:37 AM3/29/19
to blink-dev, chromi...@chromium.org, ericwi...@chromium.org, mgi...@chromium.org, benw...@chromium.org, yfri...@chromium.org
No

What platforms will this ship on? Is there anything to track for any of the other platforms?

Glenn Hartmann

Mar 29, 2019, 1:56:15 PM3/29/19
to rek...@gmail.com, blink-dev, chromi...@chromium.org, ericwi...@chromium.org, Matt Giuca, benw...@chromium.org, Yaron Friedman
The initial launch is for Android. I'm not personally involved in other platforms, but ericwilligers@ or benwells@ can maybe speak to that.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:44 AM <rek...@gmail.com> wrote:
No

What platforms will this ship on? Is there anything to track for any of the other platforms?

Eric Willigers

Mar 31, 2019, 8:28:01 PM3/31/19
to Glenn Hartmann, rek...@gmail.com, blink-dev, chromi...@chromium.org, Matt Giuca, benw...@chromium.org, Yaron Friedman
We are hoping to implement Web Share and Web Share Target on Chrome OS in the near future.

Discussions about other desktop platforms would follow Chrome OS.

rek...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2019, 11:03:59 AM4/1/19
to blink-dev, hart...@chromium.org, rek...@gmail.com, chromi...@chromium.org, mgi...@chromium.org, benw...@chromium.org, yfri...@chromium.org
Cool.

This is pretty badly needed for the federated Mastodon social networking users, who need to be able to reply to and fav across sites. Currently whenever I visit someone's feed, and try to fav something, I get a pop-up box asking me what my account is, so it can properly redirect the like to my own instance. Web Share would let the site just says "share this" and my own site could be the delegated/designated Web Share Target & it would just work, I believe.

Getting it on desktop (Linux!) would be a major improvement for us users of the Fediverse.

Thanks. Onwards & upwards.

Daniel Bratell

Apr 3, 2019, 5:50:33 AM4/3/19
to chromi...@chromium.org, blin...@chromium.org, ericwi...@chromium.org, mgi...@chromium.org, benw...@chromium.org, Yaron Friedman, Glenn Hartmann
I have some, mostly "checking that all the i:s are dotted", questions.

The linked spec says: "This is an early draft of the Web Share Target spec."
I'm assuming that is a leftover from early days? Otherwise it seems a bit early to ship it in stable.

Is there a permanent home on the horizon for the specification?

Getting Safari and iOS on board here would be valuable considering that people might want to share things on that platform too. Have you tried to get any signal from them so that we can interpret their answer or non-answer?

When you write "no" and a link to the question whether it's fully tested, does that mean that it's tested but not fully? If so, how far from fully? I do understand that a feature like this might need more testing support from the framework than wpt provides so it's more about testing what can be tested.

And finally a side-question: How has the origin trial worked out?

/Daniel

/* Opera Software, Linköping, Sweden: CET (UTC+1) */

rhal...@google.com

Apr 3, 2019, 8:49:19 AM4/3/19
to blink-dev, chromi...@chromium.org, ericwi...@chromium.org, mgi...@chromium.org, benw...@chromium.org, yfri...@chromium.org
Please make sure this goes through privacy review.

On Friday, March 29, 2019 at 4:02:59 PM UTC+1, Glenn Hartmann wrote:
ericwi...@chromium.org,mgiu...@chromium.org,benw...@chromium.org,yfri...@chromium.org,hart...@chromium.org https://github.com/WICG/web-share-target/blob/master/docs/explainer.md https://wicg.github.io/web-share-target/level-2/ Installed web applications can now receive file shares, e.g. images. Using the manifest, the web application can declare which MIME types and/or file extensions it accepts. Previously, mobile platforms allowed files to be shared to native applications, but not web applications. https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/blink-dev/AiKgWvv3cq0/xAsjfSfMDQAJ

Alex Russell

Apr 4, 2019, 3:38:19 PM4/4/19
to blink-dev, chromi...@chromium.org, ericwi...@chromium.org, mgi...@chromium.org, benw...@chromium.org, yfri...@chromium.org
LGTM1

On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 5:49:19 AM UTC-7, Ramin Halavati wrote:
Please make sure this goes through privacy review.

On Friday, March 29, 2019 at 4:02:59 PM UTC+1, Glenn Hartmann wrote:
ericwi...@chromium.org,mgiuca@chromium.org,benw...@chromium.org,yfri...@chromium.org,hart...@chromium.org https://github.com/WICG/web-share-target/blob/master/docs/explainer.md https://wicg.github.io/web-share-target/level-2/ Installed web applications can now receive file shares, e.g. images. Using the manifest, the web application can declare which MIME types and/or file extensions it accepts. Previously, mobile platforms allowed files to be shared to native applications, but not web applications. https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/blink-dev/AiKgWvv3cq0/xAsjfSfMDQAJ

Chris Harrelson

Apr 4, 2019, 5:39:32 PM4/4/19
to Alex Russell, blink-dev, chromi...@chromium.org, ericwi...@chromium.org, mgi...@chromium.org, benw...@chromium.org, yfri...@chromium.org
Hi,

Has the level 2 spec been through a TAG review?

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 12:38 PM 'Alex Russell' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
[...]

Kenneth Rohde Christiansen

Apr 4, 2019, 5:42:54 PM4/4/19
to Chris Harrelson, Alex Russell, blink-dev, chromi...@chromium.org, ericwi...@chromium.org, mgi...@chromium.org, benw...@chromium.org, yfri...@chromium.org
Yes, many of these changes came out of the TAG review and it was not split up into level 1 and 2 then.

So I would say yes

Kenneth, TAG member

Eric Willigers

Apr 4, 2019, 8:24:20 PM4/4/19
to Daniel Bratell, chromi...@chromium.org, blink-dev, Matt Giuca, benw...@chromium.org, Yaron Friedman, Glenn Hartmann
On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 8:50 PM Daniel Bratell <bra...@opera.com> wrote:
The linked spec says: "This is an early draft of the Web Share Target spec."
I'm assuming that is a leftover from early days? Otherwise it seems a bit early to ship it in stable.

That sentence was left over from 2017-10-03. It should be removed.

Spec changes since the end of October last year have been minimal.

Is there a permanent home on the horizon for the specification?

Web Share Target is currently defined using an extension point that Web App Manifest provides. It is anticipated that the Web Share Target spec can merge into the Web App Manifest spec.

Matt and I presented the specification to the Web Platform Working Group (minutes), which maintains the Web App Manifest specification.

Getting Safari and iOS on board here would be valuable considering that people might want to share things on that platform too. Have you tried to get any signal from them so that we can interpret their answer or non-answer?

We have kept Apple up to date with our progress.

Apple have implemented Web Share Level 1, which lets web sites create text/URL share requests.

We haven't received feedback about Web Share Target.

When you write "no" and a link to the question whether it's fully tested, does that mean that it's tested but not fully? If so, how far from fully? I do understand that a feature like this might need more testing support from the framework than wpt provides so it's more about testing what can be tested.

We have Blink tests but not WPTs.

The user agent has full discretion in deciding if a given web application should be included in the menu of share target suggestions. For example, it might decide based on user engagement. The user agent also has full discretion in deciding how to show the menu of share target suggestions.

We would need to add to the framework a way to "insist" that an app be included in the menu, and a way to simulate the selection of a given web app from the menu.

For now, we should add to WPT some manual interactive tests.

Alex Russell

Chris Harrelson

Apr 9, 2019, 9:17:40 PM4/9/19
to Glenn Hartmann, Chromium-dev, blink-dev, Eric, Matt Giuca, Ben Wells, Yaron Friedman
Confused.

What do you mean by "no" here? Did you mean to say yes?

Glenn Hartmann

Apr 9, 2019, 10:32:26 PM4/9/19
to Chris Harrelson, Chromium-dev, blink-dev, Eric, Matt Giuca, Ben Wells, Yaron Friedman
Sorry for my initial unclearness. I linked to the Web Share Level 2 WPT tests ("Web Share", not "Web Share Target"). While these are relevant, they're not quite a "full" comprehensive test for Web Share Target.

I think Eric explained well in his previous reply:

We have Blink tests but not WPTs.

The user agent has full discretion in deciding if a given web application should be included in the menu of share target suggestions. For example, it might decide based on user engagement. The user agent also has full discretion in deciding how to show the menu of share target suggestions.

We would need to add to the framework a way to "insist" that an app be included in the menu, and a way to simulate the selection of a given web app from the menu.

For now, we should add to WPT some manual interactive tests.

Chris Harrelson

Apr 9, 2019, 10:40:36 PM4/9/19
to Glenn Hartmann, Chromium-dev, blink-dev, Eric, Matt Giuca, Ben Wells, Yaron Friedman
Ok thanks.

LGTM2

Daniel Bratell

Apr 11, 2019, 6:46:40 AM4/11/19
to Glenn Hartmann, Chris Harrelson, Chromium-dev, blink-dev, Eric, Matt Giuca, Ben Wells, Yaron Friedman
LGTM3