Intent to Prototype: Confirmation of Action API

Sara Tang

Jan 28, 2022, 7:26:36 PM1/28/22
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

sar...@microsoft.com

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/aom/blob/gh-pages/notification-api.md

Specification

Summary

This effort aims to create a JavaScript API so that developers can better notify AT users of actions/changes to a webpage not necessarily tied to UI elements.

Blink component

Blink>Accessibility

Motivation

Currently the only mechanism available today that communicates content changes in a web app down to the accessibility layer is via ARIA live regions. One major limitation to ARIA live regions is that they assume the change to a webpage is tied to a DOM element. This leads to content authors employing various inefficient or inconsistent tricks and hacks to notify of changes that are not associated with the DOM. We propose a separate notification API to address these scenarios, called Confirmation of Action.

Initial public proposal

https://github.com/WICG/aom/blob/gh-pages/notification-api.md

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/832)

Other signals:

Debuggability

TBD

No

Flag name

--enable-blink-features=ConfirmationOfAction

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1291098

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5745430754230272

Sara Tang

Jan 28, 2022, 7:27:58 PM1/28/22
to blin...@chromium.org, Daniel Libby
+Daniel Libby

Jan 31, 2022, 9:33:50 AM1/31/22
to Sara Tang, blin...@chromium.org, Daniel Libby
+Daniel Libby

[...]

Just wanted to note that it seems worthwhile to file for an early TAG review.

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/832)

Other signals:

Debuggability

TBD

No

Flag name

--enable-blink-features=ConfirmationOfAction

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1291098

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5745430754230272

Sara Tang

Feb 1, 2022, 7:05:58 PM2/1/22
to Yoav Weiss, blin...@chromium.org, Daniel Libby

Feb 8, 2022, 5:06:43 AM2/8/22
to blink-dev, Sara Tang, blin...@chromium.org, dli...@microsoft.com, yoav...@chromium.org
Hi All,

During a discussion about this proposal a few concerns were raised:
  • What pipeline of data would be used to pass the new messages to a potential screen-reader? Would screen-readers need to implement a new API or would this use pre-existing ones?
  • Does this new API allow pages to have a more direct or a less restricted way to pass data to a screen reader?
  • Would this API allow potential attackers to use different character sets or might this allow them to pass potentially malformed data to screen readers that was not possible to pass before?
  • If a pre-existing channel is used to communicate with the screen reader (e.g. already existing APIs) how would a user distinguish this new mechanism from content on the page?
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Roberto Clapis

Feb 8, 2022, 12:05:57 PM2/8/22
to blink-dev, Roberto Clapis, Sara Tang, blin...@chromium.org, dli...@microsoft.com, yoav...@chromium.org
There is one additional question that was brought forward during the discussion:
  • What information can be read by the users of this API? This is mentioned in the security concerns but it doesn't seem to be specified elsewhere. Is this just about learning of an existence of a AT or is this some additional info?

Sara Tang

Feb 18, 2022, 5:24:38 PM2/18/22
to Roberto Clapis, blink-dev, Daniel Libby, yoav...@chromium.org
Hi Roberto, thanks for your feedback 🙂 Responses inline:

    Feb 22, 2022, 10:48:14 AM2/22/22
    to blink-dev, Sara Tang, dli...@microsoft.com, yoav...@chromium.org, Roberto Clapis
    > - readback: Do not readback AT configuration settings.

    This would be ideal. What would the major downsides of this be?

    > - authoritative-sounding notifications

    Do we currently (before this proposal) inform the user on which page/origin is causing a certain ARIA node to be read?

    > We should suppress notifications when focus moves outside of the web content.

    +1 on that

    > Maybe only offer this feature to Secure Contexts (instead of 3rd party browsing contexts)

    +1 on this too

    Thanks for the clarification on the APIs. If I understand correctly this proposal won't change the API we use or the way we communicate with it, but it might end up opening a more direct channel to use it.
    My proposal would be to then validate messages encoding (UTF-wise) and limit them in length and character set. Alphanumeric and punctuation should be sufficient for the use case we're trying to address, right?
    I don't think running the message through parsers would be beneficial, so we can skip that part.

    David Tseng

    Mar 7, 2022, 7:52:17 PM3/7/22
    to blink-dev, Sara Tang
    Hi there,

    A few additional questions/comments:
    - this api will be a separate channel from ordinary live regions. If we mix the two techniques, wouldn't the output be interleave? For example, an iframe with a live region, and another iframe wherein we call document.ariaNotify?
    - the way Chrome (at least) works is based on the serialization of a tree structure. This api appears to be a imperitive call, making it seem like the call gets honored immediately. However, the a11y tree gets pushed only on layout clean.
    - what happens if I repeatedly call document.ariaNotify? Would these announcements queue up? Would they flush tts? Would it trigger a refresh of the accessibility tree?
    - live regions have the aria-live polite|assertive properties which roughly (though not really for all screen readers) map to queue vs flushing tts. Is there something equivalent for this api?
    - many screen readers actually suppress live regions (e.g. NVDA) or give users a way to turn them off. This api might reduce the ability for screen readers to do this depending on how it gets implemented.
    - at least via the current proposed change, it looks like notify is trying hard to be a direct tts channel to the screen reader. It has very little to do with ARIA?

    Sara Tang

    Mar 9, 2022, 6:32:24 PM3/9/22
    to David Tseng, blink-dev
    Hi David,

    Responses inline 🙂. I've also linked the design doc if you'd like to take a further look: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pz7KQUgd3zjjH7aTWFTFBEps_GrxXF3pZjaV8H76WjA/edit?usp=sharing

    Cheers,
    Sara

    Mar 18, 2022, 4:05:41 PM3/18/22
    to David Tseng, blink-dev, cy...@google.com
    + Cynthia Shelly

    Jun 2, 2022, 12:23:04 AM6/2/22
    to Sara Tang, blink-dev, cy...@google.com
    Thanks for the responses here and sorry for the late reply.

    IIUC, this looks mostly like syntactic sugar. The imperitiveness of the api is somewhat of an illusion since this takes the same code path as ordinary live regions and for most platforms and even most clients on Windows, it re-uses the same mechanics of delivering the announcement as a live region.

    So, we are basically reduced to the two lines:
    someElement.textContent = 'foo';

    vs

    document.ariaNotify('foo');

    (assuming someElement is a live region).

    The key diff is some number of queueing modes to reorder the announcements for the current callstack and the aforementioned syntax cleanup. The other diff is not having to add a DOM element which is somewhat negligible if it is positioned offscreen.

    Is that a fair assessment of the difference? If so, could we consider introducing additions to live regions to get the queueing behaviors introduced?

    Sara Tang

    Dec 1, 2023, 12:57:14 PM12/1/23
    to blink-dev, David Tseng, blink-dev, cy...@google.com, Sara Tang, alm...@microsoft.com
    Hi all!

    Letting everyone know that we are picking up this initiative again :) Please find an updated explainer here:  MSEdgeExplainers/Accessibility/AriaNotify/explainer.md at main · MicrosoftEdge/MSEdgeExplainers (github.com). I've already updated the ChromeStatus.

    There is also an updated design doc in the works, but still waiting on reviews from third parties.

    Thanks!
    Sara

    Ethan Jimenez

    Mar 4, 2024, 7:34:43 PMMar 4
    to blink-dev, Sara Tang, David Tseng, blink-dev, cy...@google.com, Sara Tang, alm...@microsoft.com
    Updating Chrome status entry and subject of this thread.

    --Ethan