Fwd: WebRTC PSA: TURN server ports - intent to limit

Harald Alvestrand

Feb 25, 2021, 8:47:43 AM2/25/21
to blink-dev
This is likely to be of interest to WebRTC service providers only, but since I have been asked to post this to blink-dev, here it is.

Since someone also asked for a chromestatus entry, I created https://chromestatus.com/feature/5236962422161408.

Feb 25, 2021, 9:35:29 AM2/25/21
to Harald Alvestrand, blink-dev
On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 2:47 PM 'Harald Alvestrand' via blink-dev
<blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
> This is likely to be of interest to WebRTC service providers only, but since I have been asked to post this to blink-dev, here it is.

I might be missing something, but this seems pretty relevant to other
implementations of WebRTC as well. I filed
https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-pc/issues/2625.

Harald Alvestrand

Feb 25, 2021, 9:38:08 AM2/25/21
to Anne van Kesteren, blink-dev
Note that this concerns TURN servers only, not WebRTC ports in general.

Dominic Cooney

Mar 1, 2021, 11:53:27 PM3/1/21
to Harald Alvestrand, Anne van Kesteren, blink-dev
This is probably a naive question... why "above 1024" and not "1024 and above?" The well known ports end with 1023. What's special about 1024?

Dominic

Harald Alvestrand

Mar 2, 2021, 3:40:43 AM3/2/21
to Dominic Cooney, Anne van Kesteren, blink-dev
My spelling only. 1024 was not blocked.

(This change was landed in webrtc yesterday, and should be rolling into Canary Real Soon Now)