Intent to Experiment: Media Capabilities: decoding

Husain Bengali

Sep 13, 2017, 1:35:28 PM9/13/17
to blink-dev

Contact emails

chcunn...@chromium.org, mlam...@chromium.org, hben...@chromium.org

Spec

https://wicg.github.io/media-capabilities/

Summary

This specification intends to provide APIs to allow websites to get more information about the decoding abilities of the device/system/browser. This enables the website to make optimal decisions when selecting media streams for the user.

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/EAqWCAdw1lI/zk3MvsBbCQAJ

Goals for experimentation

Validate that the API provides sufficient and reliable enough information for video serving sites using it to deliver an improved user experience (example signals: fewer dropped frames, higher watch time). This will be measured by video sites that join the origin trial and choose to share their internally measured results and feedback.

Experimental timeline

Origin trial begins with M63 beta release ~10/26/17

Origin trial concludes with M64 branch ~11/30/17

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

No significant risks - video providers can fall back to their current behavior in case we need to disable the origin trial.

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

Yes

OWP launch tracking bug

https://crbug.com/690364

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5869632707624960

Rick Byers

Sep 18, 2017, 4:11:33 AM9/18/17
to Husain Bengali, blink-dev
LGTM

Collaborating with real products to measure the value of an API like this is a GREAT use of origin trials.  Do you already have any video sites who have expressed willingness to use an origin trial for this?

Husain Bengali

Sep 18, 2017, 4:47:10 PM9/18/17
to Rick Byers, blink-dev
Yes, YouTube has indicated a desire to run an experiment.

Rick Byers

Sep 18, 2017, 8:22:42 PM9/18/17
to Husain Bengali, blink-dev
Perfect, I figured as much :-)

Husain Bengali

Nov 2, 2017, 1:43:32 PM11/2/17
to Rick Byers, blink-dev

Due to delays in rolling out the origin trial, and feedback around extending our experimentation period, our revised experimental timeline is as follows:

Origin trial begins ~11/15/17

Origin trial concludes ~1/15/18

Husain Bengali

Jan 4, 2018, 7:07:20 PM1/4/18
to blink-dev
Since we haven't yet received sufficient feedback, we'd like to extend this origin trial to 2/16/2018.