Intent to Ship: Relative indexing method for Array, String, and TypedArrays

Shu-yu Guo

Dec 1, 2020, 7:23:31 PM12/1/20
to blink-dev

Contact emails

s...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/tc39/proposal-relative-indexing-method

Specification

https://tc39.es/proposal-relative-indexing-method/

Summary

Add a new method, named at(), to Array.prototype, String.prototype, and the TypedArray prototypes, that permit relative indexing with negative indices. ``` let arr = [1,2,3,4]; arr.at(-1); // Returns 4 ```

Blink component

Blink>JavaScript>Language

TAG review

Not needed. Addition of methods to JS built-in prototypes with no interaction with rest of web platform.

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

The .at name also has compatibility risk due to old versions of core-js unconditionally shipping a Stage 0 proposal. See https://github.com/zloirock/core-js/pull/889#issuecomment-732359377 for more discussion.

Gecko: Worth prototyping (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/458)

WebKit: In development (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-November/031623.html)

Web developers: No signals

No, but covered by test262.

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/v8/issues/detail?id=10961

https://chromestatus.com/feature/6123640410079232

Chris Harrelson

Dec 1, 2020, 7:28:29 PM12/1/20
to Shu-yu Guo, blink-dev
LGTM1

Mike West

Dec 2, 2020, 2:43:05 AM12/2/20
to Chris Harrelson, Shu-yu Guo, blink-dev
LGTM2.

This is a stage 3 proposal in TC39, which is a good signal of support from that community, bolstered by the fact that WebKit has an implementation behind a flag. I note, though, that the Mozilla standards position request was filed ~2 days ago, and hasn't settled on a resolution yet ("So.... any objections to 'worth prototyping'?" is not the same as "Worth Prototyping" :) ). Please keep an eye on that conversation, and circle back if objections are raised?

Thanks!

-mike

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Dec 2, 2020, 5:42:28 AM12/2/20
to Mike West, Chris Harrelson, Shu-yu Guo, blink-dev
LGTM3

On 02/12/2020 08:42, Mike West wrote:
> [...]
> (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/458
> <https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/458>)
>
> WebKit: In development
> (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-November/031623.html
> <https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-November/031623.html>)
>
> Web developers: No signals
>

> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?
>
> No, but covered by test262.
>

> Tracking bug
>
> https://bugs.chromium.org/p/v8/issues/detail?id=10961
> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/v8/issues/detail?id=10961>
>

> Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Status
>
> https://chromestatus.com/feature/6123640410079232
> <https://chromestatus.com/feature/6123640410079232>
>
> This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status

Shu-yu Guo

Dec 2, 2020, 11:46:19 AM12/2/20
to Mike West, Chris Harrelson, blink-dev
Good point on Mozilla's standards position, and will do. Anne "thumbs up"ed the "any objections" comment, which I suppose is a bit ambiguous as to whether it's thumbing up "yes there is an objection" or "no there's no objection". I had optimistically interpreted that as "no there's no objection".

Yulia Startsev

Dec 2, 2020, 12:21:50 PM12/2/20
to Shu-yu Guo, Mike West, Chris Harrelson, blink-dev
I will still wait a bit before going ahead and publishing our position, but you can expect it by the end of the week.