Intent to Experiment: Region Capture

Elad Alon

Oct 5, 2021, 5:12:31 PM10/5/21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

elad...@chromium.orgmfo...@chromium.orgjop...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/eladalon1983/region-capture/blob/main/README.md

Specification

https://eladalon1983.github.io/region-capture/

Summary

Recall that applications may currently obtain a capture of the tab in which they run using getDisplayMedia, either with or without preferCurrentTab. Moreover, soon another API will allow similar functionality - getViewportMedia. In either case, the application may then also wish to crop the resulting video track so as to remove some content from it (typically before sharing it remotely). We introduce a performant and robust API for cropping a self-capture video track.

Blink component

Blink

TAG review

Pending

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Ergonomics

N/A

Activation

Should be relatively unchallenging to use.

Security

This is a mechanism by which an application purposefully strips away information which it already has access to (via pre-existing mechanisms such as getDisplayMedia).

Goals for experimentation

Evaluate the usefulness of the feature and gather Web-developer feedback about how it may improve.

Debuggability

N/A

No

Supported on all desktop platforms, but not on mobile platforms, as the prerequisite API of getDisplayMedia is currently only available on desktop.

No

Flag name

RegionCapture

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1247761

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1168076

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last97
OriginTrial desktop first97

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5712447794053120

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/dib14W1B0Xc

Yoav Weiss

Oct 7, 2021, 3:20:28 AM10/7/21
to Elad Alon, blink-dev
Do I understand correctly and you want to experiment for a single milestone? (M97)

Elad Alon

Oct 7, 2021, 4:34:49 AM10/7/21
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
Thanks for catching that typo. The corrected request is m97 - m100.

Yoav Weiss

Oct 7, 2021, 4:58:36 AM10/7/21
to Elad Alon, blink-dev
LGTM to experiment M97-M100 (inclusive)

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 9:20 AM Yoav Weiss <yoav...@chromium.org> wrote:
Do I understand correctly and you want to experiment for a single milestone? (M97)

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 11:12 PM 'Elad Alon' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:

When looking at the API, I found that it's unclear why a cropID is needed (compared to using an element ID instead, or just passing the element to `cropTo`). Would be good to further explain that.

May be good to try and move the spec over to the WICG. I saw activity on the related proposal, so it may be good to get explicit support from folks that'd enable such a move.

Summary

Recall that applications may currently obtain a capture of the tab in which they run using getDisplayMedia, either with or without preferCurrentTab. Moreover, soon another API will allow similar functionality - getViewportMedia. In either case, the application may then also wish to crop the resulting video track so as to remove some content from it (typically before sharing it remotely). We introduce a performant and robust API for cropping a self-capture video track.

Blink component

Blink

TAG review

Pending

Plans to file for a TAG review?

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Elad Alon

Oct 29, 2021, 12:27:23 PM10/29/21
to blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, blink-dev, Elad Alon
When looking at the API, I found that it's unclear why a cropID is needed (compared to using an element ID instead, or just passing the element to `cropTo`). Would be good to further explain that.

Will  do along with my next pass over the spec and README, which I intend to do after we're done coding the MVP.

May be good to try and move the spec over to the WICG. I saw activity on the related proposal, so it may be good to get explicit support from folks that'd enable such a move.

I am scheduled to present about this feature on the WebRTC Working Group interim in November. After that, and after we have the MVP landed, I intend to step up my partner-seeking efforts.

Plans to file for a TAG review?

Definitely, but I want to have a first do a first pass in the WebRTC  Working Group and have the MVP landed and exposed to OT.
I intend to do so after I've had time to present to Apple and Mozilla in the aforementioned interim.

Elad Alon

Nov 26, 2021, 5:31:47 PM11/26/21
to blink-dev, Elad Alon, yoav...@chromium.org, blink-dev
Hi Yoav. Could the origin-trial period please be amended to m98-m101 (inclusive), as we've landed a CL blocking this from OT in m97.

Yoav Weiss

Nov 29, 2021, 12:30:09 AM11/29/21
to Elad Alon, blink-dev
LGTM for M98-M101