Intent to Extend Experiment: Capture Handle

Elad Alon

Aug 16, 2021, 5:42:55 PM8/16/21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

elad...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/capture-handle/blob/main/README.md

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/capture-handle/

Summary

We introduce a mechanism that allows an application to opt-in to exposing certain information to other applications which are video-capturing it. This allows collaboration between capturing and captured applications. For example, a VC application that's video-capturing a tab where a presentation application lives, could expose user-facing controls in the VC tab for navigating the presentation in the captured tab.

Blink component

Blink>GetUserMedia>Tab

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Reason this experiment is being extended

Enthusiastic support for the feature: https://discourse.wicg.io/t/proposal-capture-handle-bootstrap-app-collaboration-when-screensharing/5354 Efforts to build useful features on top of this new API are still ongoing.

Request extension m95-m97 (three months).

Debuggability

No DevTools support is needed.

Supported on all Desktop platforms. Not supported on any Mobile platform.

No

Flag name

CaptureHandle

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1200910

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1200907

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop first92
OriginTrial desktop last94
Request extension m95-m97 (three months).

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4854125411958784

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/yLTykllpNmI
Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/RKONugfoGwM/m/mpFizHPxAwAJ

Yoav Weiss

Aug 17, 2021, 4:56:26 AM8/17/21
to Elad Alon, blink-dev
On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 11:42 PM 'Elad Alon' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

Have we reached out? https://bit.ly/blink-signals is not required for an experiment, but may be good to reach out nevertheless.

Web developers: No signals

Elad Alon

Aug 17, 2021, 9:41:14 AM8/17/21
to blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, blink-dev, Elad Alon
Thanks, Yoav.
Yes, I intend to formally reach out to Mozilla and Apple soon.
Agreed about strong positive signals from developers.

Yoav Weiss

Aug 20, 2021, 12:44:10 AM8/20/21
to blink-dev, Elad Alon, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
LGTM to continue experimenting.

Note that it might be worthwhile to stop the experiment at some point, as that could "reset the clock" in terms of burn-in risk, and enable an overall longer experimentation period.

Elad Alon

Oct 27, 2021, 10:08:38 AM10/27/21
to blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, Elad Alon, blink-dev
Thank you, Yoav, for this suggestion about resetting the clock. We would like to now do just that, pausing the experiment 2021-11-01 to 2021-11-21, and restarting it again on 2021-11-22. We would like to experiment for 4 milestones (96 to 99, inclusive). However, if it's possible to also have the experiment active for older milestones during this time, that would be nice, too.

Elad Alon

Oct 28, 2021, 4:38:49 PM10/28/21
to blink-dev, Elad Alon, yoav...@chromium.org, blink-dev
If 2021-11-01 is too short-notice by now, we could also do 2021-08 to 2021-11-28.

Yoav Weiss

Nov 2, 2021, 3:39:52 AM11/2/21
to blink-dev, Elad Alon, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
LGTM to break the experiment 2021-11-08 to 2021-11-28 (I'm guessing it's to late to aim for the 1st, apologies for not responding earlier).
Also LGTM to experiment for 4 milestones after that, till M99, inclusive.

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 4:08:38 PM UTC+2 Elad Alon wrote:
Thank you, Yoav, for this suggestion about resetting the clock. We would like to now do just that, pausing the experiment 2021-11-01 to 2021-11-21, and restarting it again on 2021-11-22. We would like to experiment for 4 milestones (96 to 99, inclusive). However, if it's possible to also have the experiment active for older milestones during this time, that would be nice, too.

Can you clarify what you mean by "during this time"? During the break, or after it?

Elad Alon

Nov 2, 2021, 5:14:13 AM11/2/21
to blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org, Elad Alon, blink-dev
After the break. If code could work not only for m96-m99, but rather for m92-m99, during the calendar time of m96-m99, that would be nice. But it's not critical. I am just thinking that the OT process is probably intended to look more at time than actual milestones, so possibly we could tweak the rules to reflect that? But this might be a larger discussion to be had elsewhere, and not specifically to this feature. Up to you!

Yoav Weiss

Nov 2, 2021, 6:09:18 AM11/2/21
to blink-dev, Elad Alon, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
If the current status quo is that OTs are exposed on older milestones during the time they are enabled (e.g. for users that haven't updated their browser), then from my perspective, the break in the OT's availability should not change that. (I think that's the case ATM, but not sure).
If it isn't the case, changing it merits a broader discussion.

Jason Chase

Nov 2, 2021, 11:32:07 AM11/2/21
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Elad Alon
Currently, origin trials are time-bound, not version-bound. That is, trial tokens contain an expiry date that applies regardless of the Chrome version.

In this case, the break in availability would be done by remote update that disables the trial. We can target that update to specific Chrome versions. So, it is possible to leave the trial enabled on older versions, while newer versions have the break enforced, and then have the trial re-enabled on all versions.

Yoav Weiss

Nov 2, 2021, 11:43:08 AM11/2/21
to Jason Chase, blink-dev, Elad Alon
Thanks! I think it's important to have the trial break in all versions, so the current default OT configuration you described SGTM

Elad Alon

Nov 2, 2021, 12:11:12 PM11/2/21
to Yoav Weiss, Jason Chase, blink-dev
The "old" versions (m92-m95) are the only versions that are currently out, so breaking for anything else would be breaking in theory only. What I am asking for is:
  • Break 2021-11-08 to 2021-11-28, all versions.
  • Re-enable on 2021-11-29 for m92-m99. (Using m92 instead of m96 as the lower-bound is the "special" part of my request here.)
Jason, Yoav, wdyt?

Yoav Weiss

Nov 2, 2021, 12:16:28 PM11/2/21
to Elad Alon, Jason Chase, blink-dev
LGTM

Jason Chase

Nov 2, 2021, 12:18:25 PM11/2/21
to Yoav Weiss, Elad Alon, Jason Chase, blink-dev
Yes, that works for deploying the OT updates.