Intent to Experiment: SoftNavigation performance entry

Yoav Weiss

Nov 30, 2022, 9:01:46 AM11/30/22
to blink-dev

Contact emails

yoav...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/soft-navigations#soft-navigations

Specification

Not yet. I want to use the OT's feedback to assess the solution's viability.

Summary

Exposes the (experimental) soft navigation heuristics to web developers, using both PerformanceObserver and the performance timeline.

Blink component

Blink>PerformanceAPIs

TAG review

Not yet.

TAG review status

Not yet.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal for now. Will file once feedback confirms viability.

WebKit: No signal for now. Will file once feedback confirms viability.

Web developers: Strong support!

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Nope!

Goals for experimentation

I'm interested in gaining insights on the quality of the heuristic and how it compares to current heuristics employed by RUM providers or driven by framework- or app-specific knowledge. I'm also interested in knowing if developers find the correlation of various performance entries to their soft navigation ergonomic, and whether the emitted FP/FCP/LCP entries work well for them to evaluate the performance of their soft navigations.

Reason this experiment is being extended

N/A

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Debuggability

No

Yes!

Flag name

SoftNavigationHeuristics

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1338390

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last112
OriginTrial desktop first109
OriginTrial Android last112
OriginTrial Android first109
OriginTrial webView last112
OriginTrial webView first109

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5144837209194496

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAL5BFfV3qRFx0i-eGJFSzqE8bnbX8XYJCvXAj0LfvO0icPo_jA%40mail.gmail.com

Mike Taylor

Nov 30, 2022, 9:16:26 AM11/30/22
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
LGTM to experiment from M109 to M112.

Yoav Weiss

Jan 6, 2023, 5:14:11 AM1/6/23
to Mike Taylor, blink-dev
Update: We're bumping the experimentation from M109 to M110 (till M113), to align with partner timelines (and avoid them rediscovering bugs fixed in M109).

Yoav Weiss

Jun 14, 2023, 3:14:17 AM6/14/23
to Mike Taylor, blink-dev
I recently discovered that despite me asking for this to run till M113, the OT is running till M115.
The reason I haven't "renewed" the OT after M113 is that lined-up partners took a particularly long time to add support, which resulted in practically no-use for the OTed API (beyond a very small number of origins - Google-only link).

Now I'm interested in renewing the OT for M115, but wondered if the fact that the OT wasn't effectively used on M113-M114 (nor before, tbh) could be considered as a gap in the OT, and hence the renewal won't be considered as extending beyond the 6 milestone initial limit.  Thoughts?

Mike Taylor

Jun 14, 2023, 11:57:31 AM6/14/23
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev

LGTM to keep going until M115.