Intent to Ship: `navigator.webdriver === false` when automation is not enabled.

Maksim Sadym

Apr 16, 2021, 7:18:42 PM4/16/21
to blin...@chromium.org, mk...@chromium.org, Mathias Bynens, Philip Jägenstedt

Contact emails

sa...@google.com

Explainer

None

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/webdriver/#interface

API spec

Yes

Design docs

https://w3c.github.io/webdriver/#interface

Summary

Prior to this change, Chromium only exposed `navigator.webdriver` when the browser was being automated. However, other browsers expose it unconditionally per the spec (https://w3c.github.io/webdriver/#interface), with the value `false` in case the browser is not being automated. We propose changing Chromium to align with other browsers and the spec. This is a potentially breaking change since web pages could in theory rely on the old `navigator.webdriver === undefined` behavior.

Blink component

Blink

Search tags

navigatorwebdriverautomation

TAG review

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

WebKit: Shipped/Shipping

Web developers: No signals

Yes

Flag name

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1152355

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5670121114697728

Best regards,
Maksim Sadym

Mike West

Apr 20, 2021, 10:10:57 AM4/20/21
to Maksim Sadym, blin...@chromium.org, Mathias Bynens, Philip Jägenstedt
Retrospective LGTM1.

This shipped in Chrome 89 without running through the Blink process. Thanks for circling back around to send this I2S. Since we're following our friends in Gecko and WebKit with this behavior, I'm happy to see this move towards more interop.

-mike

Chris Harrelson

Apr 20, 2021, 10:50:49 AM4/20/21
to Mike West, Maksim Sadym, blink-dev, Mathias Bynens, Philip Jägenstedt
LGTM2

Daniel Bratell

Apr 21, 2021, 3:56:13 AM4/21/21
to Chris Harrelson, Mike West, Maksim Sadym, blink-dev, Mathias Bynens, Philip Jägenstedt