Intent to Deprecate: -webkit-font-size-delta

김현준

Aug 18, 2020, 10:16:17 PM8/18/20
to blin...@chromium.org

Primary eng (and PM) emails

hjki...@gmail.com

Summary

Remove '-webkit-font-size-delta' from web author's interface, and replace it with '-internal-font-size-delta', because we need this internally in blink's editing module.

Motivation

As mentioned in https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=974092, the usage of the feature is very low. (0.007%)

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

Edge: Not supported

Firefox: Not supported

Safari: Supported

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers

Use the 'font-size' feature, because '-webkit-font-size-delta' is currently being overridden if 'font-size' is specified.

Usage information from UseCounter

The usage is estimated as 0.007% https://chromestatus.com/metrics/css/timeline/popularity/241

Entry on the feature dashboard

I am not sure if this needs an entry in the feature dashboard, but it may not because of its low usage.

Yoav Weiss

Aug 19, 2020, 3:04:39 AM8/19/20
to hyunju...@samsung.com, blin...@chromium.org
On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 4:16 AM 김현준 <hyunju...@samsung.com> wrote:

Primary eng (and PM) emails

hjki...@gmail.com

Summary

Remove '-webkit-font-size-delta' from web author's interface, and replace it with '-internal-font-size-delta', because we need this internally in blink's editing module.

I'm not sure I understand. Would the `-internal` one be web exposed? Or would it only work internally?

Motivation

As mentioned in https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=974092, the usage of the feature is very low. (0.007%)

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

Edge: Not supported

Firefox: Not supported

Safari: Supported

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers

Use the 'font-size' feature, because '-webkit-font-size-delta' is currently being overridden if 'font-size' is specified.

Usage information from UseCounter

The usage is estimated as 0.007% https://chromestatus.com/metrics/css/timeline/popularity/241

That's non-negligible usage...
What would breakage look like? Would the page still be usable to end users, only with a slightly different look and feel?

Entry on the feature dashboard

I am not sure if this needs an entry in the feature dashboard, but it may not because of its low usage.

Joe Medley

Aug 19, 2020, 9:48:12 PM8/19/20
to Yoav Weiss, hyunju...@samsung.com, blin...@chromium.org
Deprecations require status entries. That was buried in instructions before. It's explicit in the new UI.

image.png
Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Ian Kilpatrick

Aug 19, 2020, 10:28:52 PM8/19/20
to Joe Medley, Yoav Weiss, hyunju...@samsung.com, blin...@chromium.org
Hi all,

Just wanted to chime in here and say this should be a very safe removal.
This property only has an effect internally within editing (and likely shouldn't have been exposed to the web).

Using an -internal- property instead won't be exposed to the web.

Thanks,
Ian

Chris Harrelson

Aug 19, 2020, 10:35:32 PM8/19/20
to Ian Kilpatrick, Joe Medley, Yoav Weiss, hyunju...@samsung.com, blin...@chromium.org
LGTM1 then, with the comment that you should update the summary at chromestatus to clarify that the -internal version is not web-exposed and is only part of the implementation. (Actually, it might be better to just leave that off since it's not relevant to web developers and might only serve to create confusion.)

Yoav Weiss

Aug 20, 2020, 3:50:13 AM8/20/20
to blink-dev, ikilp...@chromium.org, jme...@google.com, yo...@yoav.ws, hyunju...@samsung.com
LGTM2 to remove, given the fact that breakage is not awful (different size fonts), usage is low and likely to be a loose upperbound, and the fact that this is used in ways we're not sure are correct.

Daniel Bratell

Aug 20, 2020, 2:51:35 PM8/20/20
to blink-dev, yo...@yoav.ws, ikilp...@chromium.org, Joe Medley, hyunju...@samsung.com
LGTM3