Intent to Prototype: Origin Private File System extension: AccessHandle

Emanuel Krivoy

Aug 4, 2021, 11:49:59 AM8/4/21
to blink-dev, Domenic Denicola, rs...@chromium.org, Thomas Steiner, Emanuel Ziegler

Contact emails

five...@chromium.orgrs...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/file-system-access/blob/main/AccessHandle.md

Specification

Summary

The Origin Private File System (OPFS, part of the File System Access API) is augmented with a new surface that brings very performant access to data. This new surface differs from existing ones by offering in-place and exclusive write access to a file’s content. This change, along with the ability to consistently read unflushed modifications and the availability of a synchronous variant on dedicated workers, significantly improves performance and unblocks new use cases.

Blink component

Blink>Storage>FileSystem

Motivation

Our goal is to give developers flexibility by providing generic, simple, and performant primitives upon which they can build higher-level storage components. The new surface is particularly well suited for Wasm-based libraries and applications that want to use custom storage algorithms to fine-tune execution speed and memory usage.

Initial public proposal

https://discourse.wicg.io/t/proposal-extend-the-origin-private-file-system-with-accesshandles/5483

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Debuggability

No

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1218431

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1232436

Estimated milestones

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5702777582911488

Mathias Bynens

Aug 5, 2021, 4:58:23 AM8/5/21
to Emanuel Krivoy, blink-dev, Domenic Denicola, rs...@chromium.org, Thomas Steiner, Emanuel Ziegler
The Intentemail template includes a “Debuggability” section, which was left empty in this case. How would web developers debug this new functionality through DevTools? See https://goo.gle/devtools-checklist for context.

Emanuel Krivoy

Aug 6, 2021, 1:53:56 PM8/6/21
to Mathias Bynens, blink-dev, Domenic Denicola, rs...@chromium.org, Thomas Steiner, Emanuel Ziegler
Ah, that section is not exposed in the new chrome status UI, sorry it was missing.

Looking at the checklist, we are covered on basic tooling; Autocomplete works as described in "New WebIDL/DOM interfaces and attributes".

As for extended tooling, we'll eventually want to be able to explore files stored in OPFS. There are two tracking bugs related to this: crbug.com/256067 and crbug.com/735618. This API doesn't really add new storage backends, just new ways to interact with files, so we'd be covered by those as well.