Intent to Ship: CSS "overflow" media features

Daniil Sakhapov

Feb 28, 2023, 10:18:09 AM2/28/23
to blink-dev

Contact emails

sakh...@chromium.org

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/csswg-drafts/mediaqueries/#mf-overflow-block

Summary

Implements "overflow-inline" and "overflow-block" media features. Allows to distinguish styles for displays with different overflow characteristics.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

WebKit: No signal

Yes

Yes
https://wpt.fyi/css/mediaqueries/overflow-media-features.html

Flag name

CSSOverflowMediaFeatures

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=790911

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop113
DevTrial on Android113

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5093005876264960

Yoav Weiss

Mar 1, 2023, 8:22:45 AM3/1/23
to Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev
On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 4:18 PM Daniil Sakhapov <sakh...@chromium.org> wrote:

Contact emails

sakh...@chromium.org

Specification

https://w3c.github.io/csswg-drafts/mediaqueries/#mf-overflow-block

Summary

Implements "overflow-inline" and "overflow-block" media features. Allows to distinguish styles for displays with different overflow characteristics.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

WebKit: No signal

Similar to the other intent, can you ask for a WebKit position and see if we know of a developer signal for this?

Yes

Yes
https://wpt.fyi/css/mediaqueries/overflow-media-features.html

Flag name

CSSOverflowMediaFeatures

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=790911

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop113
DevTrial on Android113

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5093005876264960

fantasai

Mar 3, 2023, 3:51:02 PM3/3/23
to blin...@chromium.org
On 3/1/23 08:22, Yoav Weiss wrote:

> Interoperability and Compatibility
>

> /Gecko/: Shipped/Shipping
>
> /WebKit/: No signal
>

> Similar to the other intent, can you ask for a WebKit position and see if we
> know of a developer signal for this?

The feature is in a CR-level CSS spec, so FWIW that includes implicit sign-off
from WebKit's reps--reaching CR status requires consensus of the CSSWG that
the spec is complete and appropriate to implement and ship. (This might be
something to track in your Intents, btw.)
https://www.w3.org/TR/mediaqueries-4/

~fantasai

Alex Russell

Mar 3, 2023, 3:59:59 PM3/3/23
to blink-dev, fantasa...@inkedblade.net
Our process does not pay much mind to arbitrary standards gates when others have not already shipped. If WebKit had (has?) implemented, that would shortcut our analysis, otherwise, it's still worth asking.

Best,

Alex

Florian Rivoal

Mar 3, 2023, 11:33:26 PM3/3/23
to Alex Russell, blink-dev, fantasa...@inkedblade.net

On 4Mar 2023, at 5:59, Alex Russell <sligh...@chromium.org> wrote:

Our process does not pay much mind to arbitrary standards gates when others have not already shipped. If WebKit had (has?) implemented, that would shortcut our analysis, otherwise, it's still worth asking.

The point is not about what the W3C Process say you can do at what stage, the point is that for a CSS spec to get to CR, there needs to be a sign off from the groups’ members that this is OK to ship. This is not as strong as “we want to ship this ourselves soon”, but this is stronger than “no signal”, as was stated earlier.

This may be true in other groups, but it is especially true in the CSSWG, which includes all the browsers, and has an explicit policy that publishing something as a CR means we have consensus it is OK to ship it.

So my read of webkit’s position would be: “has indicated support for the feature being shipped in general, unclear when they intend to do so themselves”. It’s absolutely reasonable to ask webkit if you’re looking for something more firm that than (or more recent, or…), but I think it is worth noting you at least have that much.

—Florian

Alex Russell

Mar 6, 2023, 12:49:32 PM3/6/23
to blink-dev, flo...@rivoal.net, blink-dev, fantasa...@inkedblade.net, Alex Russell
Our history with the WebKit project suggests that imputations of implicit consent are unwelcome, and so in addition to the general orientation of our process towards explicit evidence, it is in the interest of respecting the WebKitten's own preferences that we ask formally.

Best,

Alex

Philip Jägenstedt

Mar 7, 2023, 6:37:59 AM3/7/23
to Alex Russell, blink-dev, flo...@rivoal.net, fantasa...@inkedblade.net
I think this feature falls under Implementations of already-defined consensus-based standards in our process, and Signals from other implementations in an intent-to-ship aren't part of that section.

If this wasn't already shipped in Gecko I do agree with Alex that the spec status shouldn't carry a lot of weight and we should file standards positions, but I don't think our documented process backs up that preference.

Anyway, this has already shipped in Gecko, and I don't think we need to file a standards position issue for WebKit.

In other words, I'd be happy to LGTM this, but will abstain since Daniil is on my team.

Yoav Weiss

Mar 8, 2023, 12:09:22 PM3/8/23
to Philip Jägenstedt, Alex Russell, blink-dev, flo...@rivoal.net, fantasa...@inkedblade.net
LGTM1 % filing a WebKit position

We discussed this intent at the API owner meeting (Rick, Chris, Daniel, MikeT, Philip,, Alex and myself). We agreed that there's value in filing a WebKit position issue here, if anything to put this on their radar (pun not intended) and let them know we intend to ship this and that Gecko already has.

I also wish we had some developer signal for this, but given the fact Gecko already shipped, I won't block on it.

Daniil Sakhapov

Mar 14, 2023, 11:13:00 AM3/14/23
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Alex Russell, blink-dev, flo...@rivoal.net, fantasa...@inkedblade.net, Philip Jägenstedt
Done:
https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/146

On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 8:33:26 PM UTC-8 flo...@rivoal.net wrote:

[...]

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Mar 15, 2023, 10:09:40 AM3/15/23
to Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Alex Russell, flo...@rivoal.net, fantasa...@inkedblade.net, Philip Jägenstedt
LGTM2

On 14/03/2023 16:13, Daniil Sakhapov wrote:
> [...]
> <mailto:blink-dev+...@chromium.org>.
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/f709d52b-46ba-4390-b307-cda73990db1en%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/f709d52b-46ba-4390-b307-cda73990db1en%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAARdPYdxZ5_MvS-gB5mZKE8-zL8rr1FmH%2BghJwUR3iuQGjeiOA%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAARdPYdxZ5_MvS-gB5mZKE8-zL8rr1FmH%2BghJwUR3iuQGjeiOA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/0a4db3ac-fd94-4300-bb48-b6eef7c5ee1dn%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/0a4db3ac-fd94-4300-bb48-b6eef7c5ee1dn%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mike Taylor

Mar 15, 2023, 10:58:41 AM3/15/23
to Manuel Rego Casasnovas, Daniil Sakhapov, blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, Alex Russell, flo...@rivoal.net, fantasa...@inkedblade.net, Philip Jägenstedt
LGTM3