[blink-dev] Intent to Ship: Standardize existing client hint naming

Ari Chivukula

Oct 11, 2021, 2:09:43 PM10/11/21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

ari...@chromium.org, jadek...@chromium.org, mike...@chromium.org

Design Doc

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yhVLyEIpDhhDQf698WkvXBiPcLwxEgCBI4o1FjvXwfM/edit

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/client-hints-infrastructure/

https://wicg.github.io/responsive-image-client-hints/

https://wicg.github.io/savedata/#save-data-request-header-field

https://wicg.github.io/netinfo/#networkinformation-interface

Summary

This proposal seeks to align our implementation with the Client Hint proposal by adding the `sec-ch-` prefix where it’s missing.

Blink component

Privacy>Fingerprinting

Motivation

Client Hints, a method to request information about the user's device or conditions, have been implemented in Chrome, but since the initial implementation the naming scheme has changed. If implemented, this proposal would add new client hints with a `sec-ch-` prefix to re-implement the following: `dpr`, `width`, `viewport-width`, and `device-memory`. The three network related client hints with legacy names, `rtt`, `downlink`, and `ect`, will not be updated as they may be replaced by different hints in an independent process.

TAG review

Not needed

Risks

Only Blink implements client hints and we are not (yet) removing any current ones, just re-implementing existing ones under the correct name. If usage permits, we will remove the legacy names in the future.

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Client hints not implemented

WebKit: Client hints not implemented

Web developers: Positive interest from Cloudinary

Yes

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1227043

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/6658223894429696

Yoav Weiss

Oct 15, 2021, 8:34:59 AM10/15/21
to Ari Chivukula, blink-dev
Thanks for working on this, Ari!

IIUC, this intent will add these new hint names, but would also ensure their behavior when it comes to 3P delegation would be different from the legacy hints (as they don't have the same legacy baggage). Is that correct?

Ari Chivukula

Oct 15, 2021, 8:41:44 AM10/15/21
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
Correct, they’ll behave the same as the other non-legacy hints.
--
~ Ari Chivukula (Their/There/They’re)

Daniel Bratell

Oct 21, 2021, 3:16:54 PM10/21/21
to blink-dev, ari...@chromium.org, blink-dev, yoav...@chromium.org
LGTM1

/Daniel

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Oct 21, 2021, 3:17:45 PM10/21/21
to Daniel Bratell, blink-dev, ari...@chromium.org, yoav...@chromium.org
LGTM2

On 21/10/2021 21:16, Daniel Bratell wrote:
> [...]
>
> Not needed
>

> Risks
>
> Only Blink implements client hints and we are not (yet)
> removing any current ones, just re-implementing existing
> ones under the correct name. If usage permits, we will
> remove the legacy names in the future.
>

> Interoperability and Compatibility
>
> Gecko: Client hints not implemented
>
> WebKit: Client hints not implemented
>
> Web developers: Positive interest from Cloudinary
> <https://discourse.wicg.io/t/responsive-image-client-hints-call-for-review/5470>
>

> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests?
>
> Yes
> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/refs/heads/main/third_party/blink/web_tests/external/wpt/client-hints/>
>

> Tracking bug
>
> https://crbug.com/1227043 <https://crbug.com/1227043>
>

> Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Status

Alex Russell

Oct 21, 2021, 3:37:22 PM10/21/21
to blink-dev, Manuel Rego, Ari Chivukula, Yoav Weiss, Daniel Bratell
LGTM3.

In future, if you assert a TAG review isn't necessary, please provide links to previous reviews that cover the same space.

Joe Medley

Oct 27, 2021, 1:30:33 PM10/27/21
to Alex Russell, blink-dev, Manuel Rego, Ari Chivukula, Yoav Weiss, Daniel Bratell
Hi,

In which version of Chrome do you expect to ship?

Joe
Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Ari Chivukula

Oct 27, 2021, 1:37:56 PM10/27/21
to Joe Medley, Alex Russell, Daniel Bratell, Manuel Rego, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
The code is all in for M97