Intent to Ship: Unprefixed text-emphasis properties

TAMURA, Kent

Dec 15, 2021, 7:59:45 PM12/15/21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

tk...@chromium.org

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-decor/#emphasis-marks

Summary

This feature introduces 'text-emphasis', 'text-emphasis-color', 'text-emphasis-position', and 'text-emphasis-style' CSS properties. They are unprefixed versions of existing '-webkit-text-emphasis', '-webkit-text-emphasis-color', '-webkit-text-emphasis-position', and '-webkit-text-emphasis-style'.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

TAG review

None; Other browsers already shipped it.

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Risks are very low. This feature doesn't change existing behavior, and other browsers already shipped the feature.

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping

WebKit: Shipped/Shipping

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Debuggability

Same as other CSS properties.

Yes

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=666433

Sample links

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/text-emphasis

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5679635154075648

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Chris Harrelson

Dec 15, 2021, 8:02:15 PM12/15/21
to TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
LGTM1

Yoav Weiss

Dec 16, 2021, 2:44:20 AM12/16/21
to Chris Harrelson, TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Dec 16, 2021, 3:54:25 AM12/16/21
to Yoav Weiss, Chris Harrelson, TAMURA, Kent, blink-dev
Some questions regarding interoperability.

On 16/12/2021 08:43, Yoav Weiss wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 4:59 PM TAMURA, Kent <tk...@chromium.org
> <mailto:tk...@chromium.org>> wrote:
> Gecko: Shipped/Shipping
>
> WebKit: Shipped/Shipping

When has WebKit shipped this? WPT tests seem to be failing there.

> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?
>
> Yes

Is there interop with the other unprefixed implementations?
Are all the tests passing in Chromium once we unprefix the properties?
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-text-decor?label=master&label=experimental&aligned&q=text-emphasis

Thanks,
Rego

TAMURA, Kent

Dec 16, 2021, 9:50:16 AM12/16/21
to Manuel Rego Casasnovas, Yoav Weiss, Chris Harrelson, blink-dev
On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 5:54 PM Manuel Rego Casasnovas <re...@igalia.com> wrote:
Some questions regarding interoperability.

On 16/12/2021 08:43, Yoav Weiss wrote:
>     On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 4:59 PM TAMURA, Kent <tk...@chromium.org
>     <mailto:tk...@chromium.org>> wrote:
>         Gecko: Shipped/Shipping
>
>         WebKit: Shipped/Shipping

When has WebKit shipped this? WPT tests seem to be failing there.

I don't know the exact version, but Safari 15.1 supports the unprefixed properties.
Many of WPT fail with Safari due to small pixel glitches.

>                 Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
>                 <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?
>
>         Yes

Is there interop with the other unprefixed implementations?

I think so.  If the current implementation has interoperability issues, we should fix them before shipping the unprefixed properties.

Are all the tests passing in Chromium once we unprefix the properties?
https://wpt.fyi/results/css/css-text-decor?label=master&label=experimental&aligned&q=text-emphasis

I hope so.  I haven't tried to unprefix yet.

Thanks,
  Rego

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Dec 16, 2021, 12:01:40 PM12/16/21
to TAMURA, Kent, Yoav Weiss, Chris Harrelson, blink-dev

On 16/12/2021 15:49, TAMURA, Kent wrote:
> I think so.  If the current implementation has interoperability issues,
> we should fix them before shipping the unprefixed properties.

LGTM3, if we fix the potential interop issues before shipping.

Cheers,
Rego

Joe Medley

Dec 20, 2021, 12:37:27 PM12/20/21
to Manuel Rego Casasnovas, TAMURA, Kent, Yoav Weiss, Chris Harrelson, blink-dev
Kent,

In which version are you hoping to ship this?

Joe
Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

TAMURA, Kent

Jan 4, 2022, 9:52:08 PM1/4/22
to Joe Medley, blink-dev
We're going to ship in M99.