Intent to Prototype: Prerender2 for Desktop

Takashi Toyoshima

May 27, 2022, 4:50:23 AM5/27/22
to blink-dev

Contact emails

toyo...@chromium.org, robe...@chromium.org, ken...@chromium.org, jx...@chromium.org, nhi...@chromium.org, kou...@chromium.org, angel...@google.com

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/nav-speculation/blob/main/README.md

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/nav-speculation/prerendering.html

Design docs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EpLshvc9RRW3vswmXsJGrbCkhlFmxDsWfbvgxmYDTfs/edit?usp=sharing

Summary

To achieve parity among the all supporting platforms, we implement the Prerender2 for Desktop in addition to Android.

We are going to ship the same-origin prerendering triggered by the speculation rules API and running experiments on Omnibox triggered prerendering on Android. We also enable these prerendering on Desktop.

See also [1] Same-origin prerendering triggered by the speculation rules API

[1] https://chromestatus.com/feature/5355965538893824

Blink component

Internals>Preload>Prerender

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

It affects the Chrome Extensions APIs surface. Baseline changes were already discussed at the WECG for the FencedFrames/MPArch support, and we just follow it to support prerendering. Detailed plans are discussed in the design docs.

NaCl is another Desktop only feature, but we don’t support NaCl in prerendering pages as the feature NaCl is deprecated. We cancel prerendering when we find a NaCl in a prerendering page.

WebView application risks

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1278141

Estimated milestones

m105

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5197044678393856

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

--
Takashi Toyoshima
Software Engineer, Google