Badging API: Intent to Continue Experimenting

Jay Harris

Jun 25, 2019, 12:07:01 AM6/25/19
to blink-dev, Raymes Khoury

Contact emails

ray...@chromium.org, domi...@chromium.org, harr...@chromium.org

Spec

Draft: https://wicg.github.io/badging

Summary

Allows web applications (as defined by the Web App Manifest standard) to set an application-wide badge, shown in an operating-system-specific place associated with the application (such as the shelf or home screen). The badge can optionally show a positive integer over the top of the application icon.

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/Fw764MVF5nI/FNlBi815AwAJ

Goals for experimentation

During the open-for-comments period (since the I2I), we have received a number of bug reports asking for changes to the API surface, which are summarized in this doc:
https://github.com/WICG/badging/blob/master/choices.md

In addition, we want time to consider any issues arising in the TAG review:

Experimental timeline

We'd like to run the experiment for one more milestone: M77. We are considering changes with regard to the installation requirement.

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

No risk of data loss. However, it would represent a disappearing prominent feature in apps using it. We're planning to rename the API in order to launch it in the milestone following the end of the trial.

Other details can be found on the original intent to experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/KEUnHsvulEU/tMzKbzHxBQAJ

Raymes Khoury

Jul 3, 2019, 7:26:08 PM7/3/19
to Jay Harris, blink-dev
Ping on this. To clarify status:
TAG review slipped through the cracks during handover of this project so we're only just getting feedback now. That means that we need time to incorporate that feedback. As a result we'd like to continue the trial through 77.

Thanks,
Raymes

Yoav Weiss

Jul 4, 2019, 12:56:03 AM7/4/19
to Raymes Khoury, Jay Harris, blink-dev
This experiment had been running from M73, right?

That would mean that extending it would make it a 5 milestone experiment, running to close to our 6 milestone limit.

A few questions:
* Has the API changed during the experiment so far?
* Are production sites relying on it? If we refuse to extend the trial, what would be the consequences?
* Are you planning to ship the API as is after the trial ends?

Raymes Khoury

Jul 4, 2019, 1:35:50 AM7/4/19
to Yoav Weiss, Jay Harris, blink-dev
> This experiment had been running from M73, right?

Correct

> * Has the API changed during the experiment so far?

No - it took us a long time to get feedback on this API from partners so for the first few milestones there was hardly any use. We've really only received substantive feedback recently.

> * Are production sites relying on it? If we refuse to extend the trial, what would be the consequences?

No production sites we know of are relying on the API. We do have a partner testing the API who has strong hopes this will ship. However, they are aware that the API is in origin trial and that there is a chance it won't ship.

> * Are you planning to ship the API as is after the trial ends?

No, we had agreement with the Origin Trial team to break the API by renaming it before it goes to stable. If all goes well, we do plan to ship the API in the milestone after the OT finishes.

Cheers,
Raymes

Yoav Weiss

Jul 4, 2019, 1:39:18 AM7/4/19
to Raymes Khoury, Jay Harris, blink-dev
Thank you for the quick reply! :)

LGTM to continue experimenting for one more milestone.

Matt Giuca

Oct 17, 2019, 12:47:54 AM10/17/19
to Yoav Weiss, Raymes Khoury, Jay Harris, blink-dev
Hi API owners,

TL;DR: Badging V1 will stop being available in Chrome 79, replaced by Badging V2. We'd like to continue making Badging V1 trial tokens available until 2020-02-04, which is when Chrome 80 ships, to give a one-milestone grace period for users to update their browser to M79, to avoid breaking users who are still on M78. This is therefore a request for an additional milestone extension to Badging V1 origin trial, but note that we just want to extend the duration of the token validity throughout M79 stable, not make the API available in M79.

In detail:
  • Previous agreement was to end Badging V1 origin trial after Chrome 78 (not sure of the exact date when tokens expire).
  • Badging V1 tokens will not work in Chrome 79. Instead, you have to use Badging V2 tokens, along with a new API name (ExperimentalBadge.set() has been renamed to Navigator.setExperimentalAppBadge()).
  • Clients that want to avoid temporary breakage are encouraged to use both a V1 and V2 token, and feature-detect both names (e.g. const setAppBadge = (ExperimentalBadge && ExperimentalBadge.set) || Navigator.setExperimentalAppBadge); if (setAppBadge) { setAppBadge(x); }). This code will work in both 78 and 79.
  • However, if V1 tokens expire on, say, 2019-12-10, when M79 ships, users who are still stuck on M78 for whatever reason will see a temporary breakage in the API until they update their browser.
  • Therefore, we are requesting an extension of the token availability until 2020-02-04, when M80 ships, which gives users a one-milestone grace period to update their browser, allowing both the old and new code to continue working until then.
  • V1 tokens will not work in M79, we only propose an extension of availability for M78 users (so we are not really asking for an extension of the experiment).

Chris Harrelson

Oct 17, 2019, 10:17:28 AM10/17/19
to Matt Giuca, Yoav Weiss, Raymes Khoury, Jay Harris, blink-dev