Intent to Prototype: Suggested file name and location for the File System Access API

Austin Sullivan

Jan 26, 2021, 1:09:52 PM1/26/21
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

m...@chromium.org, asu...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/file-system-access/blob/main/SuggestedNameAndDir.md

Specification

None

Summary

When initially shipping the File System Access API we shipped a bare minimum API surface for showing file and directory pickers. We're now proposing adding a couple of frequently requested (and commonly supported in other file picker APIs) options to let websites provide a couple more opportunities to influence the behavior of the file and directory pickers. In particular we want to let websites give suggestions for the name and location of files and directories that are being saved or loaded.

Blink component

Blink>Storage>FileSystem

Motivation

This will let websites provide more user friendly user experiences when interacting with the File System Access API.

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

Edge: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: Positive These are some of the most frequently requested features, see https://github.com/WICG/file-system-access/issues/80, https://github.com/WICG/file-system-access/issues/85, https://github.com/WICG/file-system-access/issues/94 and https://github.com/WICG/file-system-access/issues/144

No

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/6013006146174976

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.