Intent to Ship: Imperative Shadow DOM Distribution API

Yu Han

Aug 10, 2020, 9:16:57 PM8/10/20
to blink-dev

Contact emails

yuzh...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/blob/gh-pages/proposals/Imperative-Shadow-DOM-Distribution-API.md

Specification

https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/5483,
https://github.com/whatwg/dom/pull/860/

TAG review

Summary

Web developers can specify node-to-slot assignments imperatively in Shadow DOM slotting. Please see the spec discussion [1] and the explainer [2].
[2] https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/blob/gh-pages/proposals/Imperative-Shadow-DOM-Distribution-API.md

Link to “Intent to Prototype” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/TNYIAu5E_M4/m/G10sAwwsAAAJ

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

The risk should be low because this is a new API. Comments from other implementers indicate their support of this feature.

Gecko: Positive (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/409)

WebKit: Positive (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-August/031318.html)

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3534#issuecomment-626258214)

Ergonomics

None. The interaction between imperative API and declarative API [1] has been discussed. And it has been resolved by allowing only one type of API under the same shadow root [2] . [1] https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3534#issuecomment-371024491
[2] https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3534#issuecomment-537802687

Activation

The API is straightforward and feature detectable. Developers should be able to make use of it immediately without degrading the experience of users running older browsers.

Debuggability

No DevTools changes are required.

Yes

Yes
Fully tested in WPT.

Hayato Ito

Aug 11, 2020, 2:19:37 AM8/11/20
to Yu Han, blink-dev
Non-owner LGTM.
Super excited to see this moving forward!

Hayato

Yu Han

Aug 11, 2020, 3:32:07 PM8/11/20
to Hayato Ito, Yu Han, blink-dev
Thank you Hayato.
I appreciate your insights and help in reviewing this project.

Han

Chris Harrelson

Aug 13, 2020, 1:45:45 PM8/13/20
to Yu Han, Hayato Ito, Yu Han, blink-dev
Hi, one comment below.

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:19 PM Hayato Ito <hay...@chromium.org> wrote:
Non-owner LGTM.
Super excited to see this moving forward!

Are these pull requests blocked on anything other than final nits and LGTM, as far as you know? Since there is multi-vendor interest in this feature, we should be able to get those committed before shipping, which would be best.

Alex Russell

Aug 13, 2020, 3:31:18 PM8/13/20
to blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, Hayato Ito, yuzh...@chromium.org, blink-dev, Yu Han
LGTM1

Excited to see this moving forward.

Mike West

Aug 14, 2020, 5:35:29 AM8/14/20
to blink-dev, Alex Russell, Chris Harrelson, Hayato Ito, Yu Han, blink-dev, Yu Han
LGTM2.

Yu Han

Aug 14, 2020, 8:10:13 PM8/14/20
to Chris Harrelson, Hayato Ito, Yu Han, blink-dev
Response inline.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 10:45 AM Chris Harrelson <chri...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi, one comment below.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:32 PM 'Yu Han' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:
Thank you Hayato.
I appreciate your insights and help in reviewing this project.

Han

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 11:19 PM Hayato Ito <hay...@chromium.org> wrote:
Non-owner LGTM.
Super excited to see this moving forward!

Are these pull requests blocked on anything other than final nits and LGTM, as far as you know? Since there is multi-vendor interest in this feature, we should be able to get those committed before shipping, which would be best.

Yes, as far as I know I've addressed all of the spec reviewer's concerns and waiting for a final review. Also, I used the requests re-review option a few weeks back, but haven't gotten a response.
I agree, it would be best to get those committed. However, I also think it's valuable to raise awareness to the web community via shipping status so more developers are inclined to try it out.

Chris Harrelson

Aug 17, 2020, 6:25:37 PM8/17/20
to Mike West, blink-dev, Alex Russell, Hayato Ito, Yu Han, Yu Han
LGTM3

Yu Han

Aug 19, 2020, 3:45:59 PM8/19/20
to Chris Harrelson, Mike West, blink-dev, Alex Russell, Hayato Ito, Yu Han
Thank you everyone!

Han